SMB share not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vode

Dabbler
I'm trying to import my old ZFS Volume and dataset because I was reinstalling FreeNAS and getting a new router. My hardware is fine had it working before. This is about me being dumb with networking, software etc...

Was setting up a SMB share with my Volume and dataset. I had everything working before but now suddenly \\Freenas is no longer showing up in my network on Windows 7 Pro. I can still access the web interface though and change settings.

It has been doing this before and I never got why. It appears that it only shows up on my Windows machine when it wants to. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vode

Dabbler
Ok I don't know how I can be a specific as possible but I'll try:

0) FreeNAS 9.10.1 U4 on the NAS Windows 7 on the PC I'm trying to access the data with

1) I have a healthy ZFS Volume and dataset. /mnt/vol0/dataset0

2) I have access to the webgui

3) i created a SMB share with my dataset. /mnt/vol0/dataset0 -> I can see the folders and files that were in the dataset.

Yet I can't access \\FREENAS from my Win7 machine.

What do I have to do to get it to connect or even show up at all?

Vode

Dabbler
Does this have anything to do with Windows 7 Homenetwork settings? Or Windows 7 in general, or do I have to do something with Freenas?

I'm totally lost. Can somebody please help me? :(

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You'll find its much easier to just map a drive letter to your server.

\\ip.of.freenas.machine\sharename

dominator99

Dabbler
Does this have anything to do with Windows 7 Homenetwork settings? Or Windows 7 in general, or do I have to do something with FreeNAS?

I'm totally lost. Can somebody please help me? :(

I know this is an old thread but I just had the experience of losing SMB shares on 2 FreeNAS 11 PC's. No Windows PC (7 or 10) could find my FreeNAS PC's shares so I knew it was a FreeNAS issue as the Windows LAN was working fine. On checking Services>SMB>Settings I noticed 'Local Master' was ticked on both my FreeNAS PC's. I unticked on both & my SMB shares returned.
Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.