SMB share not showing up in network. What SMB protocol version does FreeNAS use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
Trying to troubleshoot the issue for a few days with no success yet. I had an SMB share setup and working...then the PSU decided to destroy itself and take the HDs with it. Then during testing of the dead drives somehow the HTPC OS became corrupt (win8.1). So reinstalled the new FreeNAS drives, set up volume and datasets, set up SMB share, made the media share open to the network, all other settings are the same as they were. HTPC setup win10 v1709.

Unable to see the smb share anymore in the network. Access is good when inputting either hostname or IP of FreeNAS. Obviously a Windows issue. Just wondering if this is a smb protocol version issue or something else. Anyone know what protocol version FreeNAS 11.1? Ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

JB

Last edited by a moderator:

SPL150JB

Dabbler
Solved.

Not exactly sure what solved it, but I enabled SMB protocol v1. Also added gpedit.msc back into permissions on win10 system folder. FreeNAS now shows up under network in File exp.

edit* - issue reappeared

Last edited:

SPL150JB

Dabbler
Had same issue on wifes laptop. Just enabled smbv1 and freenas now shows up in the network. In case anyone runs by this, hope it could help someone. Still unsure what version of SMB Freenas uses if anyone reads this and knows please comment. Thanks

JB

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
While I still use FreeNAS 9.10, it supports SMB up to 3.11 (So even my Win 10 systems without SMB1 work fine).

Check your CIFS service and see what you have the "Server minimum protocol" and "Server maximum protocol" set at. I have mine set to 2 (minimum) and 3_11 (maximum)

FWIW, you should avoid SMB1 since it is vulnerable.

Lastly, you can check the negotiated SMB from a Windows Client by opening PowerShell (from an Admin CMD prompt) and entering: Get-SMBConnection

Under the "Dialect" column you will see the negotiate version used for the connection.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
Just wanted to update*

Issue reappeared. Since then I have cleaned my HTPC Win10 and replaced with win7pro. After setting up my HTPC programs and doing some testing all seems to be good. FreeNas smb share is now available with out any issues or OS changes (been about 5 days since install).

Wife's laptop is still having issues with the share not showing up in the network. Still accessible by entering IP of FreeNas which is fine for now but I would like to try and fix the windows 10 issue since win7 EOL will come and I would like to get the HTPC back to win10. Also updated freenas to 11.1 U4 and issue still persists.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
[QUOTE="Check your CIFS service and see what you have the "Server minimum protocol" and "Server maximum protocol" set at. I have mine set to 2 (minimum) and 3_11 (maximum)
Lastly, you can check the negotiated SMB from a Windows Client by opening PowerShell (from an Admin CMD prompt) and entering: Get-SMBConnection
Under the "Dialect" column you will see the negotiate version used for the connection.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I will check this as soon as I can find this in the freeNas webgui SMB services section. Took a quick look and did not see it. I will would assume that the client does not get an SMB connection since it does not show up in the network dir under the share name.

Mirfster

I use FreeNAS v9.10 so it may look different if you are using a newer version. Here is an image of what I was speaking about: https://imgur.com/a/AptRR

Also, I did see a post somewhere regarding Win 10 Creator's Edition having issues... it had a simple fix, I will see if I can find it and link it in here as well.

Lastly, in the CIFS Service; do you have anything entered for the "NetBios Alias" or "WorkGroup"?

SPL150JB

Dabbler
Mirfster

1. It does look different. A dedicated "SMB" branded service is what I am using. The settings are also different. Have not been able to check yet but I will tomorrow.

2. I did see this post (before posting this thread) and tried the steps as shown. However I had to install the gpedit.msc as it was not found on my system initially. Also after installation of that I did not have the "Lanman Workstation" as the post states. So that's where I left that and started searching for other answers. I will have to try this again on the other win10 client.

3. I do not have anything in the netBios alias, however I do have "WORKGROUP" in the workgroup selection (same as all my home network devices). Should I have something in the netBios alias? Again so far this works perfectly as in on my win7 device so I am still leaning towards a win10 issue but if a service change could help the win10 device very willing to try.

Thank you for your support!

Sirius

Dabbler
I'm having similar issues, I'm unable to browse freenas on the network over the usual network view but when I use the direct name or IP it's fine.

Is it because Samba uses NetBIOS but Windows 10 seems to use WSD instead?

Mirfster

What do you get when you try to ping the FreeNAS Server by IP and use the "-a" switch (Example: Ping -a 192.168.1.1)?

Does it resolve to the actual Host?

Does a NSLookup of the Host resolve properly to an IP Address (Example: NSLookup "MyFreeNasServername")?

What about a NSLookup of the FQDN (Example: NSLookup "MyFreeNasServername.SomeDomain.com")?

Sirius

Dabbler
This works.

ping -a 192.168.0.21

Pinging FREENAS [192.168.0.21] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.21: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

What do you get when you try to ping the FreeNAS Server by IP and use the "-a" switch (Example: Ping -a 192.168.1.1)?

Does it resolve to the actual Host?

This doesn't...

nslookup FREENAS
Server: router.asus.com
Address: 192.168.0.1

*** router.asus.com can't find freenas: Non-existent domain

Does a NSLookup of the Host resolve properly to an IP Address (Example: NSLookup "MyFreeNasServername")?

What about a NSLookup of the FQDN (Example: NSLookup "MyFreeNasServername.SomeDomain.com")?

Mirfster

This doesn't...
Seems to me like there is a DNS issue then since it is not resolving by name. BTW, you may want to change it from the default of FREENAS anyways. Also, your router is using "asus.com" for DNS Suffixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.