Update to 11.1-U3 Broke all SMB shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

laskeyp

Dabbler
I recently updated my FreeNAS Mini system to the latest host OS. Before the update, I had a full working system of FreeNAS Jails writing internal data as well as to a shared Downlaods directory. This directory was shared with the jails as well as any Windows user via SMB. I had user Home directories on FreeNAS shared with each Windows user. I had Public media FreeNAS shared which allow access across jails and by Windows network users. And I had some non-browsable SMB shares which were accessible by certain administrative users if they knew the SMb path. Now none of these are properly accessible and I have gone very deep into the weeds of permissions and settings to try to get this to work again. I have changes dataset and share type (unix vs windows), setting unix permissions from Freenas (GUI and shell), Windows permissions from the Windows side, many variations on users/owners/groups, etc. In other words, none of it makes sense and I am taking a nearly shotgun approach to trying to repair a problem created by the upgrade. Sorry for the rant. I need to understand this and fix my dataset and share permissions. I have read many threads on this and all are different and none have helped. So here is my simple question:

Is there a way to reset all dataset and share properties to the initial state so I can gain access my shares?

m0nkey_

MVP
Update to U4 as it was released in quick succession to fix this bug.

laskeyp

Dabbler
Ah, thanks for that. I had checked for an update but found none. Now I see U4. Will updating fix the permissions even where I have mucked with them?

laskeyp

Dabbler
After updating to U4 my permissions look fine from the FreeNAS GUI. In windows I am still unable to write to my shares when I should be able to. Windows Properties:Security says permissions are out of order. Any time I try to change them I get access denied errors. Any advice?

laskeyp

Dabbler
Well, it looks like I have ACL issues. I am trying to remove acls with setfacl -bn <directory/ recursively but FreeBSD dosen't support recursion via the -R flag. Trying to hack the syntax to do this without success. Also wondering how i messed it up recursively without knowing how to do this...

laskeyp

Dabbler
Figured it out. For future reference, try this:

find <directory>/ -exec setfacl -bn {} \;

But it looks like this is not the final answer because now windows cannot access my shares. So maybe there needs to be some default ACL. I could really use some help on this question...

I just want to say I have the same problem. With the U4 update, Linux and Android (andSMB) work now but windows is still spitting out the "windows cannot access \\...". And to be clear I get the error connecting to the ip/name. I can't even get to my individual shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.