Keep Unix File Permissions on SMB ACL

Like the title says, is there any way to keep Unix File Permissions when using SMB with ACL?

Use case: multiple users have access to a shared dataset from Windows / Linux using SMB, when the Linux user copies a file into the dataset, the file permissions are always set with '0755'. However, the original file permissions are '0600'.

The Windows users will only need to read the files created by the Linux users, and sometimes create new files.

It seems to me that SMB could have the capability of storing the UNIX file permissions of files created by a particular user in a form of an ACL but that doesn't seem to be the case?

Does anyone have a suggestion or a fix to keep the file permissions unmodified?

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello all

I am participant in this thread because i have a nagging issue. As you can see from my signature my 2 servers are similar and both have truenas core 12 set up.

all my datasets are configured identically The UID is wbravin and the group is wheel. all the datasets have @owner, @everyon @group , wbravin and emby.
All members have acl allow, acl type basic and permission full control. For all datasets i have check the recursive box and confirmed it and save the acl screen for that dastaset.

all works fine. I can access the data contained in that dataset from all my win 10 pcs with no issues.

Then i decide to delete certain files from the dataset and the are transferred to the recycling bin. no issues.

Now i want to delete the files in the recycling bin. I get an errors telling me that i need permission from wbravin.

I go back to freenas ACL for that dataset and just recheck the recursive box, confirm it and save the acl edit process. Now I can delete all the files in the recycling bin with no issues. I can delete all the files in the recycling bin all day.

the next day I get the same issue as above and i go through the same process... and it works

What am i missing? this should not occur

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your response