SMB share deleted via GUI but remains accessible on client

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve.long

Dabbler
Greeting!

I'm very new to FreeNAS and I'm absorbing as much as I can as fast as I can. At the same time, I am trying to get a FreeNAS mini XL up and running for my employer, so I'm learning and configuring on the fly.

That's probably not the recommended way to do things, but it is what it is.

I have a dataset that I shared. Then I decided I didn't want to share at that level and I deleted the share.

When I access my \\freenas from the client, the deleted share still shows up. Why would that be?

Thanks for reading, please let me know how I can better flesh out this mystery.

Nick2253

Wizard
It's possible that your client or the samba server is caching something. If the share still shows up and is accessible after restarting the client desktop and the SMB process on FreeNAS, we can dive deeper.

steve.long

Dabbler
It's possible that your client or the samba server is caching something. If the share still shows up and is accessible after restarting the client desktop and the SMB process on FreeNAS, we can dive deeper.

That did fix it. I had actually just restarted the FreeNAS to see if that would help implement the deletion, but I hadn't considered it being a cache issue.

Regarding settings 'sticking', I did a clean factory image boot after I fouled up my AD configuration, but before I had a chance to configure the email settings, I received an email from my device. If it really was a clean boot, should the device be able to email me?

Nick2253

Wizard
I would guess that it wasn't a clean boot. If you have an existing config on the drive you are installing FreeNAS on, the default is to automatically import that config for the new boot environment. If you really want a clean boot, I would wipe the thumb drive before installing FreeNAS.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Changing the share config causes samba to reload its config, which doesn't affect existing smb sessions. The only way to force the change is to restart the service. This can be done via the FreeNAS UI by clicking on Services->SMB->"OK" or typing the following command in the shell service samba_server restart

Status
Not open for further replies.