Accidentally deleted CIFS share

Status
Not open for further replies.

claude

Dabbler
thanks everyone!

guys, and girls...

i'm new to FreeNAS and using linux based OS. i created a CIFS share on my FreeNAS box and and moved several files into a shared folder named 'family photos' then my dumb $ss deleted the share from the web GUI and can't seem to get it back. question, do the files still exist on the drive or are they lost?

if i can get them back how do i go about it?

claude

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Deleting the cifs share shouldn't delete the data. You can ssh into the freenas box and CD to the mount point and see if your days is still there or just recreate your share

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

claude

Dabbler
pirate,

thanks for the info! i'm glad that the files are residing there and were not lost. now i have to find out how to ssh into freeNAS, i do know how to CD (change directory), but i've never ssh'd before :-(

vaibhavyagnik

Dabbler
Its pretty simple actually.
1. Enable SSH from webgui.
2. Download putty
3. Put IP and port in putty
4. Connect!

Or you could take the easier route and just attach a keyboard mouse and monitor to freenas

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995 using Tapatalk 2

claude

Dabbler
pirate,

i thought i tried to recreate the share but i might have the spelling off or something, i can remember the exact name i used when i created it. i'll give it a go again and also try the ssh stuff.

thanks for your help!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
pirate,

i thought i tried to recreate the share but i might have the spelling off or something, i can remember the exact name i used when i created it. i'll give it a go again and also try the ssh stuff.

thanks for your help!
It doesn't matter what the share is called. What matters is what directory you point that share.

claude

Dabbler
pirate,

thanks for all your help, found it and reestablished a link to it. you are really smart and don't want to bug you but if you have time to assist me with one more problem i would be most grateful :) if not i understand and will open another thread. now i have read everything out there for creating shares in FreeNAS and setting up users rights in CIFS. for the life of me cannot login to any of the folders i setup. i can see them, get the windows dialog asking for user name and password but it never works unless i set folder permissions to allow guest access (no password required).

i have also created users accounts with the name of my computer login account using the same password to no avail. would you happen to be able to point me in the right direction?

thanks again,

claude

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There are many topics in these forums discussing cifs shares and permissions. Have a look through some of them.

claude

Dabbler
Ok, thanks... i'm still looking and trying but nothing seems to work. i'm starting to wonder if it my computer that is causing me the problem, win7 ultimate.

claude

Status
Not open for further replies.