Stop using AFS and move to SMB on Mac Mini...

michaelcr79

Dabbler
I have Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X Catalina client. Apparently, AFS is going away in the Apple world. My AFS home share was never accessible from my Mac, so I deleted it. I don't know how to do CIFS on my Mac Mini upgraded to Catalina. I also don't know how to set the shares up to allow the Mac to access them without breaking access from Windows clients. I'm exporting shares via NFS as well for Linux which is what I'm in most of the time. Hpw do I set up SMB in Catalina client side and can I do TimeMachine?

michaelcr79

Dabbler
On my Mac Mini 2014 running 10.15.1

The operation cannot be completed because the original item for "michael" cannot be found.

seanm

Guru
First, it's AFP, not AFS.

To create an SMB share that will be accessible from Mac and Windows clients, just create a "Windows" share in FreeNAS (the nomenclature is confusing, then FreeNAS says "Windows" it means "SMB".)

For Time Machine, there's nothing special to do client-side. If you configure an SMB share correctly with Time Machine support enabled, it will just appear in System Preferences > Time Machine.

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
... that's the key thing - ensure that the TimeMachine box is ticked for the CIFS/Windows/SMB share.

... I would also ensure that no data is accessible via both SMB and AFP at the same time. While FreeNAS may be smart enough to ensure that the same file cannot be modified via both protocols at the same time, I prefer minimizing the possibility thereof.

I'm still running AFP here but will switch to SMB in the near future to enable upgrade to Mojave.

michaelcr79

Dabbler
What should the permission be on /mnt/Rochester1/homes where that path is my homes directory?

/mnt/Rochester1 is a pool.

The current ownership is root:wheel and current permissions on home is 770.

Is my Mac Mini choking on group wheel?

seanm

Guru
What permissions to use depends what you are trying to achieve... which is not clear to me...

michaelcr79

Dabbler
I changed the permissions to 775 and left the ownership at root:wheel. The home directory for example for michael is permissions 770 ownership michael:michael.

I also noticed that an empty .windows file seems to be important in the homes directory.

Glorious1

Guru
They've been saying AFP is going away for six years or more and I'm still using it. I'll change to SMB when they pry my cold, dead hands from AFP, or something like that.