mac mini big sur / truenas 12.0-U6 - Can't move files between local / smb folders...

hilton8r

Dabbler
I've had an iphone for awhile now, but no mac experience to speak of otherwise.

I previously had Ubuntu 20.04 set up to mount nfs shares for my datasets on my nas. That worked well for years.

I bought a mac mini when my ubuntu system started to die. I was able to connect to my nas via smb shares in pretty much the same manner as I did with ubuntu.

I can access my nas files no problem. I can access my local files no problem. However, I can't copy or move the local files to / from the nas.

I did try afp share, but the mac mini couldn't see it, and I see that afp is supposedly close to deprecation.

I tried to configure acl (default open) on my nas, but lost access to the smb share. I didn't dare configure acl reciprocally for fear of jacking up my data. I stripped acl, and now back to where I started.

I'm not sure where to start to figure this out. Is it permissions related since I can manipulate files locally and remotely?

Eventually, I'll probably copy my data over to the mac, and use time machine to back up to my nas. But I want to worry about that later when I've got more experience with mac. I don't have enough disk space on my mac for movies / music etc...

I'm able to do a lot of what I need to do, but for example... I'm not able to download from slack to my nas downloads folder like I did with ubuntu. I'm hoping to throw this out there to see if anybody can point me in the right direction.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Do you happen to be trying to do this as root? If so, be aware that the Samba project no longer allows sharing by root, so you need to set up a proper user.

hilton8r

Dabbler
Do you happen to be trying to do this as root? If so, be aware that the Samba project no longer allows sharing by root, so you need to set up a proper user.
I do log into the nas gui as root. I don't think I'm doing anything as root on the nas. The server is connected to the mac with a non root user. I remember trying to add this same user in the afp configuration... But as far as smb, I don't see anything permissions related or user related in the smb configuration... My data is owned by nobody/nogroup... I didn't check the allow group access check box.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Okay, then, that was all I had, sorry. In some cases it seems people had whatever Windows calls its local offline caching of a network share taking over for "root"-shared SMB files and it would cause bizarre-sounding symptoms, and I think Mac has something similar.

I leave this to the Mac fans...

hilton8r

Dabbler
Okay, then, that was all I had, sorry. In some cases it seems people had whatever Windows calls its local offline caching of a network share taking over for "root"-shared SMB files and it would cause bizarre-sounding symptoms, and I think Mac has something similar.

I leave this to the Mac fans...

Thank you. I'm going to try to go through all of the permissions and look at my datasets tomorrow.

hilton8r

Dabbler
I think I have this figured out... I chose no presets for smb share. I was then able to select time machine. I was able to add the ip address of my mac mini for hosts allowed because it didn't like the mac mini hostname. Otherwise, all of the settings are the same as the default preset. I bounced smb service on nas, and now I'm now able to copy / paste local to nas and nas to local.