Mac Os unable to edit windows file

MrAnderson

Dabbler
Howdy peeps,

I'm having some issues here :
I have to laptops one windows 10 and thee other mac running MacOS catalina.

I have two users A and B -> A is a admin user can access everything, B is just a normal user.
I created an SMB share to be accessed by both users and both laptops (This works perfectly) - the files and folders each user is suppose to see based on permissions is working with no issue -
Both users can authenticate and access respected files.

Now on to the issue
When I create a file on the windows machine in a folder that can be accessed by user B (who uses the mac),
user B can read that file - However user B can not write to that file ; I receive the error message this file can not be saved.

Now
If user B is the owner of the file or creator (User B can read/write with not issue from the mac) if that file is then opened up on the windows laptop (Using user A or B) the file can be written to with no issue and overwritten. Now user A or B can then read that file from the mac however when trying to write to that file I get the same error as above file can not be saved.

How can I fix this issue ? -> I need user B to be able to read and write to a file from the mac with no issue.
Authentication seems fine
Permissions seems to be set correctly
Unless I'm missing something -> I don't know what else to do here any help well be greatly appreciated.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

MrAnderson

Dabbler
Thank you Samuel for this however it did not work.
Storage / Pool / Edit ACL

I added the group that we are both apart of with Full Control and then tried also adding the user with Full control over the share that didn't work. Even tried resetting all the permissions on the files to the group we are both apart of and that still didn't working.

Am I doing something wrong -> Well clearly I'm doing something wrong :) Can you point me into another directions - > I'll keep screwing with these settings here to see what i can dig up.

1589991695100.png

Samuel Tai

Remember you also need to set the Unix permissions side, with the folder belonging to that group, with read/write access.

MrAnderson

Dabbler
Thanks again here my set up ->

I have two groups.
Group A - > Can only be accessed by User A
Group B -> Can be accessed by User A and B

Both users have Read + Write permissions

Now on the the pool itself (ACL editor)

I added an ACL so that user B has full permission

ACL Type :
Allow
Permission Type:
Advanced
Permissions:
Everything except write acl and write owner
Flag Type:
Basic
Flags:
Inherit

I also tried this with the changing the groups@ but I'm getting the same result.

Also my dataset is set up where anything that is created both users have access to the data unless specified.

User A -> Creates new file User B has access to it
Unless I change it to Group A user B can not access to it.

I don't have issue with Read just writing for some reason.

Please let me know what other information you'd need to point me into the right direction.

MrAnderson

Dabbler
I was able to have user B able to write to files
However now User B has access to Group A and B folders

I want User A -> To have access to Group A and B
User B -> Just to Group B

How can I get this done ?

Samuel Tai

You'll have to break up your shares. A will have access to a new share, where only A has write access, but everyone has read access. There will be a new common share, where a group containing A and B will have Full Control.

MrAnderson

Dabbler
Thank you ! - I was afraid of this having two move my data from one share to another is going to be a process.

But I figured I'd have to do this. Thank you.

However there should be a way Mac and Windows can edit files at the same time with there being a permissions issue ! This is crazy.

But thanks again Samuel.

Samuel Tai

However there should be a way Mac and Windows can edit files at the same time with there being a permissions issue ! This is crazy.

You have to remember everything maps in the end to Unix permissions, which only allow a single user, group, or everyone write access. It's not possible to have nested groups in Unix, which would allow you to do what you originally envisioned.