Apple Share (AFP) with Older Mac OS X version and Permission Issues

bluethunder

Cadet
Hi All,
Hopefully I'm missing something simple and can get this up and running

Background
I've setup my FreeNas system (11.3-U4.1) and will be using this system in a Mac only enviroment. The mac clients are: 2 x 10.3 machines due to film scanners that only work on that specific PPC version, a 10.6 machine and a few current systems.

Setup
- User1, User2 and User3. User1 and User2 are in a group called Group1.
- Created a Dataset left defaults for everything. Edited permissions for Owner as User1, Group as Group1. Added Group Write permission.
- Create a AFP Share (Advanced Mode): I turned off AFP3 Unix Privs as I have 2 machines running 10.3. With this disabled I believe default file and directory permissions and umask so longer apply. I did add @Group1 to Allow List and Read/Write Access but didn't make a difference.

Permissions from CLI
If I look at the file structure on the server I have:
drwx------ User1 Group1
drwx------ User1 Group1

So AFP doesn't appear to be updating the group information which I think would solve the issue. I would expect either user to be able to read/write as they are part of the group. I've watched many YouTube videos, read these forms, looked at NetaTalk's mail-list and general google searches. Most information pertains to SMB and older FreeNAS versions. Also, Time Machine seems to be very popular.

Any ideas of what I can try to get both users to access these shares? Each user will eventually have their own share so that is why I've got multiple users and not just one account.

Thanks,
Jason