SMB not opening after login to MacOS Mojave

okynnor

Explorer
before the latest update or two, FreeNAS's SMB used to open when when I click on the FreeNAS server from the Location section in Finder. I can't tell if the update of FreeNAS to FreeNAS-11.2-U3 made something different. I'm sorry.

In the past, I just open Finder, locate the FreeNAS server under Location. Now, it doesn't automatically list the available directories. For me, I have 3 guest-allowed (e.g. nobody) directories and one that requires a username and password. If I clicked on any of the guest-allowed directories (i.e. media, public, ISOs), they would open their content. The non-guest-allowed directory, I would hit on 'Connect As', enter the username and password and I'd be in. All 4 directories can be browsed and written.

No, I have to go to "Go" --> enter the IP address of my FreeNAS server --> "Connect As", enter my username and password (same credentials as for non-guest-allowed login ) then I would see all 4 directories. Similarly, all 4 directories can be browsed and written.

I don't want to enter the IP address. I would like to just be able to hit the FreeNAS server listing -- just as I did before.

Gurus, would you know what has changed or I need to change at my Mac or FreeNAS server?

Thank you!

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? If not, which version did you update from?

okynnor

Explorer
Hi. NO ONE IS HELPING in here. Still unresolved.

Upgraded from FreeNAS-11.2-U2 --> FreeNAS-11.2-U3

okynnor

Explorer
Here's what I got back. Not sure what it means.

Last login: Fri Apr 12 10:30:45 on ttys000 Johns-MacBook-Pro-2:~ john$ dns-sd -B _smb._tcp. Browsing for _smb._tcp. DATE: ---Tue 16 Apr 2019--- 13:42:53.579 ...STARTING... Timestamp A/R Flags if Domain Service Type Instance Name 13:42:53.581 Add 2 5 local. _smb._tcp. FreeNAS

seanm

Guru
macOS has a man page for dns-sd, so you can help yourself by reading up on it...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Here's what I got back. Not sure what it means.

Last login: Fri Apr 12 10:30:45 on ttys000 Johns-MacBook-Pro-2:~ john$ dns-sd -B _smb._tcp. Browsing for _smb._tcp. DATE: ---Tue 16 Apr 2019--- 13:42:53.579 ...STARTING... Timestamp A/R Flags if Domain Service Type Instance Name 13:42:53.581 Add 2 5 local. _smb._tcp. FreeNAS

This means that your server is properly advertising that it is an smb server over mdns and your mac is seeing it.

okynnor

Explorer
Nothing on the Mac has changed; besides upgrades to the OS. It used to work flawlessly.

okynnor

Explorer
Good news.
It connects!
I see a prompt to login: Guest or type in credentials. I chose "guest". Pressed OK, I can see the shared directories. I select "Media" directory and I can see its content.
However, when just the entry under Locations -->"FreeNAS" shows on the MacOS Finder, the furthest I can get is the login prompt, pressed "Guest" or enter my credentials and none work.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Good news.
It connects!
I see a prompt to login: Guest or type in credentials. I chose "guest". Pressed OK, I can see the shared directories. I select "Media" directory and I can see its content.
However, when just the entry under Locations -->"FreeNAS" shows on the MacOS Finder, the furthest I can get is the login prompt, pressed "Guest" or enter my credentials and none work.
Okay. You should open the console app on the Mac and see what it complains about when you're trying to connect via "locations".

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Review your console messages. Then in the terminal app on mac type "smbdiagnose", start collecting data, then try to connect, then hit "control c" on the Mac. This will generate a smbdiagnose.tgz file on your desktop. Once you have it, send it to me by PM. It may take me several days before I have time to review the pcap and give more instructions. I am not a forums moderator.

okynnor

Explorer
What sort of keywords should I be looking for because there is a lot of stuff happening in the Console.app

okynnor

Explorer
SFBrowserCallBack (node = <SFNode 0x60000281fd00>{FreeNAS, domain = local, mounted = NO})

that's what I think is relevant from Console.

okynnor

Explorer
I have removed the local internal domain.local to just call it 'local' under Networks --> global configuration --> Domain. This has allowed the issues to disappear.

I hope this helps everyone. Thank anodos for hints.

okynnor

Explorer
Seanm, nice. I'm sorry I didn't get your hints. I am not as worthy I suppose.

okynnor

Explorer
After upgrading the latest version released on May 12, the SMB issues have reappeared. What do you suggest I try to do to solve this?

okynnor

Explorer
SFBrowserCallBack (node = <SFNode 0x60000281fd00>{FreeNAS, domain = local, mounted = NO})

that's what I think is relevant from Console.
SFBrowserCallBack (node = <SFNode 0x600001980500>{FreeNAS, domain = local, mounted = NO})