Still trying to get SMB Time Machine share to work

Dano

Cadet
I have done a lot of reading of the threads on this but am still coming up confused. The permissions must be set incorrectly, as I get the message "You do not have permission to access this server". Only using smb shares. My plex share is working fine, although I think I only access those as a guest. Have the time machine share (TMDan) set with catia, fruit, ixnas, streams_xattr and the auxiliary share set as fruit:time machine = yes

I can see the shares when I connect via the "connect to server ip address" on my Mac and I can login with the username and password that I have set-up for that share to see the 2 smb shares (Media and TMDan), but it denies me access to open the shares. If I do connect as guest then I can access the Media share but not the TMDan share. Can someone guide me on the correct configuration of the permissions to get the Time Machine share to work?

seanm

Guru
Well, I configured mine as follows:

- create local user 'timemachine'
- create 1 ZFS dataset per Mac. Make it 'case insensitive'.
- create Windows (aka SMB) share. Use Windows ACL type, user = 'timemachine', group = 'nogroup', set permissions recursively
- of course turn the 'time machine' checkbox on
- VFS options: catia, fruit, stream_xattr, zfs_space, zfsacl (I don't use ixnas because it's documented to be beta)
- aux parameters: nfs4:mode = simple, strict sync = yes

Dano

Cadet
Can't change the case sensitive to insensitive on the dataset I was using. I need to create a new dataset?
added the aux parameters as you indicated but I get the same message: you do not have permission to access this server

seanm

Guru
Case sensitive is probably fine, I was just telling you what worked for me.