CIFS/Samba Shares and macOS Sierra v10.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easygoer

Explorer
Hi,

I have searched quite a bit on this forum for "help threads" with CIFS/Samba and the new macOS Sierra sharing but have not found anything useful. Seems like most users are using the Windows Platform?

Anyway my problem just cropped up after upgrading to macOS Sierra (v10.12 released early this week). I cant seem to connect to my NAS. I had no problem connecting with el-Capitan.

I know that Apple is moving towards samba from AFP, but this was not an issue even under el-capitan!

I can see my NAS listed under the shared menu in Finder. But nothing happens when I try to connect. I cannot connect either as Guest or Registered User.

So far I have tried:

1. clicking Go in Finder Menu..
click on connect to server..
typing smb://myNAS._smb._tcp.local (which was how it was connecting to my NAS under el-Capitan)
click on the connect button..
get a dialog box asking to enter name & password for the server myNAS.

2. clicking Go in Finder Menu..
click on connect to server..
type smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx (the ip address of my NAS)
get a dialog box asking to enter name & password for the server myNAS.

so both methods lead to the same result.

If there is anyone who has upgraded to macOS Sierra recently and is having the same issues or has a solution please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

fracai

Guru
Have you tried entering the name and password? Maybe the upgrade just lost the credentials.

Easygoer

Explorer

Easygoer

Explorer
Ok....I have a solution for this. (It might have been that the password in the"keychain cache" might have been corrupted).

After spending a long time with Apple Tech support we ended up changing the "root" password and it worked.

So:

BACK UP YOUR CONFIG FILE FIRST!!!!!...very important

1. log in to the GUI (I used my old password, as I was still able to log into the GUI)
2. Go into Accounts>Users>root user>modify user
3. Type in your "new password"
4. Confirm new password.
5. Click OK
6. Log out & log in again with the new password.

To verify that your Mac can connect to the NAS go into "Finder" >Go>Connect to server>under server address type smb://ip address of your NAS, i.e. smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx

Then you get a dialogue box with the log & password fields. enter both & hit connect.

This worked for me.

Finally, you need to go into "Finder" on your Mac>Applications>Utilities>double click on "keychain access.app"
On the left side towards the middle you will see "Passwords", under the "Category" heading.
Click on that and you will see passwords for your NAS saved. Remove all the old passwords with the date created that reference your NAS (Select, right-click & delete).
When you login to your NAS now, your Mac will prompt you asking if you want to save your new password in the Keychain.
Click "yes" if you want it saved or you can click "not at this time" depending on your preference.
Keychain will save your new password now.

And that should do it.

diedrichg

Wizard
Wouldn't it be easier to just skip to the last step and delete the credential within keychain and have it prompt for the original CIFS login?

Easygoer

Explorer
Wouldn't it be easier to just skip to the last step and delete the credential within keychain and have it prompt for the original CIFS login?
That was before we figured out that there was a problem with the keychain.app cache. I had about 5 different keychain logins for my NAS saved in there over the last 3 years.
For some reason the login information would pop up from anyone of these 5 saved login's.
After going thru the last step and deleting these login references for my NAS it worked ok.
So, like you said, yes we could have just done it from the Mac's side of things, but did not figure this out till the end. Thanks to this link:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/unclefesters-freenas-beginners-guide.43889/

Status
Not open for further replies.