smb.conf (or other), where to get multichannel to prefer 10g network link?

jenksdrummer

Patron
I have a lab, which I on occasion have a 10G network available; handy when I want to move files around and for iSCSI when I want my lab to be active, but power and heat hungry when I don't. Most of time I have my lab turned off and rely on 1g wired as a result.

I have the following under advanced options to enable multi-channel.

server min protocol = SMB3
server multi channel support = yes
aio read size = 1
aio write size = 1

This seems to work well in that I get the added links and it does spread the load across them, but it seems that it's capped at 3g aggregate. If I turn off the 1G link binding on the TrueNAS box, I get at times near 10G speeds out of both NICs.

With WIndows Server instead of TrueNAS, it seems a bit more intelligent in that it will detect those 10G connections and prefer them over the 1G connection; leaving the 1G connection idle. I'm also using a WIndows client, FWIW.

Just wondering if there's something I can implement in a config file that can help make this better.

jenksdrummer

Patron
Bumping my own thread because it's honestly frustrating to see SMB cooking at 2x 2.5GB/sec across my 2x 10GB network cards, then, it switches up and goes to 800mb/sec over 3 links as one is a 1GB

NickF

Guru
There's a reason why those flags aren't enabled by default. If those features were vetted to work as expected, they would be enabled by default.
That being said, in my experience it works fine as long as you don't mix interface speeds. Is there a reason why you are? If you want speed....run your 10G interface?

jenksdrummer

Patron
There's a reason why those flags aren't enabled by default. If those features were vetted to work as expected, they would be enabled by default.
That being said, in my experience it works fine as long as you don't mix interface speeds. Is there a reason why you are? If you want speed....run your 10G interface?

I turn on my 10G network switches when I either have a lot of data to move, or, when I run my Home Lab, but otherwise, I save on my power bill by having them off. My 1G network is otherwise sufficient for day-to-day use.

If there was a way to set a 'weight' to the interfaces, that would be ideal. I don't like having to change the binding and restart the service.

NickF

Guru
I turn on my 10G network switches when I either have a lot of data to move, or, when I run my Home Lab, but otherwise, I save on my power bill by having them off. My 1G network is otherwise sufficient for day-to-day use.

If there was a way to set a 'weight' to the interfaces, that would be ideal. I don't like having to change the binding and restart the service.
SMB != Samba
So it's not unusual for something to "work fine" on Windows server and not work on Linux/FreeBSD. Samba is literally a free software that people have reverse engineered to be compatible with SMB. Couple that with the fact we're running it on top of ZFS rather than NTFS and dozens of other factors. It kinda is what it is...