10G Upgrade Connectivity Nightmare

ShiftyEyedKirk

Dabbler
I am trying to mix 1G and 10G traffic. I have a server that is very high up and difficult to get to. I have it connected with fiber to a mikrotik switch (CSS610-8G-2S+). This switch has 2SFP+ modules. One for the connection to my server, the other for connection to the wall via RJ45. It also has 8 other 1G RJ45 connections that need internet. It comes out of the wall in another room to yet another switch. That one is the same type with two RJ45 transceivers. One connected to the wall, the other to my main PC. It also has the 1GB connection to my main PC (for internet), and my work computer. Currently, the internet and 1GB devices work just fine, but anytime I try to switch the interface in TrueNAS over from the 1GB connection to the 10G one, I get disconnected. I have tested all possible configurations that don't involve going through a switch and they work just fine, but as soon as the switch is involved, the connection disappears. The link is up on my TrueNAS server, and the NICs are recognized on both ends and work fine. Does anybody who is more familiar with networking have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

NugentS

MVP
Whats the length of cable between the 10G Copper modules and what type (catagory) of cable is it
Do you have any VLAN's setup in the switches?

ShiftyEyedKirk

Dabbler
In the last hour, I was able to get the connection working by doing a factory reset on the Mikrotik switch connected directly to the server. That got it connecting, but after a reset, it disconnected again. I switched my virtual machines over to the new NIC and deleted the old interface, and that did it. I now have 10G connection to my server and internet capability on all attached devices.

To answer your question, no VLANs were set up and the cables were all cat6a and the total run is about 100ft.