Options for adding a 10G interface on the same network

Status
Not open for further replies.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
My system is currently using igb2 (172.16.1.xxx/24) and I've added a 10G NIC (Chelsio) and 10G Switch (Dell S4810). The 10G switch is connected to my 1G switch (Dell S25) via a port-channel.

I've read the "Can't have multiple IP Addresses on the same network" sticky, and I'm trying to figure out what other alternatives I have? I can't pick a different IP subnet for my 10G network, and I don't think I can LAG my 10G and 1G interfaces (I'm not sure it's possible to go to 2 different switches).

What kind of options do I have?
- LAG 1G and 10G (does anyone think this is possible?)
- Disable the igb2 (1G) interface and just use the cxgbe0 (10G)
- other?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Probably just use the 10Gb link and forget about the 1gb.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Probably just use the 10Gb link and forget about the 1gb.

Correct answer. Link aggregation isn't possible, and even if it was you'd have a similar situation of not being able to guarantee the interface that traffic would travel over, as well as being hilariously uneven if it tried to load-balance.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can lagg multiple interfaces that have different speeds, but you are then limited to the slowest link.

So while it is "possible" it is obviously a stupid idea. ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You can lagg multiple interfaces that have different speeds, but you are then limited to the slowest link.

So while it is "possible" it is obviously a stupid idea. ;)

And violates the spec.

Anyways, you take the S25 and use a SFP port (or port-channel of several SFP ports) to connect to the S4810, which it seems you already did. This gives you a single network. You then plug in the FreeNAS at 10G and call it a day. What's the point of trying to do something with the igb interface? You could maybe use it as a lagg in failover mode but in a crisis suddenly access to your filer would Really Suck(tm), and it's just like asking for all sorts of trouble.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I didn't think I could create a LAG to 2 separate switches. I only had 4 SFP's (I put them in the S4810), so I just used 4 cat5e cables and created a port-channel between them.

I was trying to avoid issues around reconfiguring the Jails due to having a different interface. However, they made the switch to the 10G adapter after a reboot. They did not, however, like using the FreeNAS LAG (2x 10G ports) to the S4810, so I only have 1 10G uplink to my S4810 for the time being. And since I can only have one interface on the network at a time, it makes it hard to troubleshoot the jails and the Freenas LAG.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You may be able to create a link agg to two separate switches using failover mode, but the problem is that you could be introducing odd problems into your network by doing so. Debugging that stuff is not a lot of fun, though at least in your case you have some competent datacenter grade gear and can chat with it on the CLI to see wtf it is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.