10G connection only when 1G connection is connected

drgregharris

Cadet
Just added a X520-DA2 card to my pre-existing TrueNAS machine which was previously connected by the motherboard gigabit adapter. The X520 is recognized as an interface and is connected at 10gb to a Ubiquiti 48 port switch in one of the SFP+ ports via a SFP+ DAC cable. The x520 obtains an IP address and I can connect to TrueNAS though that IP address, but if I disconnect the network cable from the 1GB port on the motherboard, I lose the ability to log into the machine even with the 10G IP address. If I connect the 1G connection back in, I regain access. I would like to totally disable the onboard NIC and only connect through the 10G connection.

Thanks in advance

Greg

artlessknave

Wizard
please peruse the forum rules.

it sounds like you have never set up your network ports. the default config is only intended to get you the first connection, then you are supposed to config each port how you want it. you can ONLY have 1 DHCP port, and TrueNAS dislikes and can get very confused if you leave the base config in place. FreeBSD expects only one active port per lan segment.