smartd not starting

dgibson9503

Cadet
Hello,

I just noticed this today, but not sure how long it has been going on. The smart service fails to start at boot and refuses to start manually. When I attempt to start manually I get the following in the log...

smartd[18651]: Unable to register device /dev/da1 (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.

da1 is one of the my USB boot drives and the first one within smartd.conf. Editing smartd.conf and deleting the lines referencing the USB drives, commenting the lines out or adding the "-d removable" directive to the lines allows smartd to start. Since smartd.conf is built at boot, these changed do not survive a reboot. I seems that
/etc/ix.rc.d/ix-smartd either shouldn't be adding these lines to smartd.conf or at least should be adding them differently.

Could anyone point me toward a more permanent fix for this? A forum search didn't seem to net anything similar.

It's also work noting that I just upgraded to 11.1-U1. Again, not sure if this was going on before OR if it started after the upgrade.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you do this, it may not work but it's what I'd try?
GUI -> Storage -> View Disks -> Highlight "da1" and click EDIT. Now uncheck the box marked "Enable SMART". If this fails to work then I'd submit a bug report.

dgibson9503

Cadet
Did you do this, it may not work but it's what I'd try?
GUI -> Storage -> View Disks -> Highlight "da1" and click EDIT. Now uncheck the box marked "Enable SMART". If this fails to work then I'd submit a bug report.

AH! That was it. I should have checked the easy things first! Thank you!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad it worked for you. It was purely an educated guess on my part since I don't have that problem so if I can't test it, then it's a guess.

johncz

Cadet
I too am having an issue with the SMART service not automatically starting on boot. The issue seems to be related to just the bootable USB drive in which FreeNAS 11.1-U1 in installed. I verified that this wasn't an issue prior to updating from FreeNAS 11.1 to 11.1-U1. If I uncheck Enable SMART on USB drive then the SMART service does start. Nothing else has changed and this is the same USB drive as when it was working with 11.1.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I too am having an issue with the SMART service not automatically starting on boot. The issue seems to be related to just the bootable USB drive in which FreeNAS 11.1-U1 in installed. I verified that this wasn't an issue prior to updating from FreeNAS 11.1 to 11.1-U1. If I uncheck Enable SMART on USB drive then the SMART service does start. Nothing else has changed and this is the same USB drive as when it was working with 11.1.
Kind of need your hardware specs to offer some advice, really need to know the hard drives and connections, etc...

johncz

Cadet
I have FreeNAS 11.1-U1 running on a Dell PowerEdge 2900 server and the USB thumdrive to which FreeNAS boots is a 32Gb Sandisk Cruzer Glide which plugs into the USB slot on the mainboard which is a GEN III MB. This is the only drive that is having the SMART issues with regards to the service not starting unless I uncheck enable SMART for this boot drive. All other drives with regards to SMART are working perfectly. I did find another forum which discussed a similar issue with FreeBSD 11.1 and the SMART service not starting because of a USB thumdrive and it recommended adding this line to smart options for the specific thumbdrive which in my case is da7 (-d sat, auto). This does allow me to re-enable SMART for the thumbdrive and the SMART service runs as expected. I am just curious as to why and what the difference would be between FreeNAS 11.1 (SMART working) and FreeNAS 11.1-U1 (SMART not working unless above mentioned work around). Thanks for responding!

joeschmuck

Old Man
So, SMART is working for the other drives in your system when you disable smartd for the thumb drive? Based on your first post that was a "no" but based on your second post that is a "yes". There is conflict in your postings. Right now I suspect that all is working properly with your thumb drive being disabled for smart. Did I get any of that wrong?

it recommended adding this line to smart options for the specific thumbdrive which in my case is da7 (-d sat, auto)
That may cure it but I'm not sure how much coding would need to be done to check all the media types for each drive connected to the system. You could submit a bug report/feature request and see what they say. I don't think SMART is important for a thumb drive but that is just my opinion and I'm sure there will be others who don't share my opinion but that is okay.

johncz

Cadet
Sorry for the confusion, SMART works for all other drives but only if I disable it on the USB boot drive or add the SMART option on the thumb drive. Then the SMART service starts and runs. I’m just curious as to why it won’t work on the USB boot drive without disabling or adding the -d, sat, auto after updating to 11.1-U1. When I was on FreeNAS 11.1 the SMART service actually detected an issue with another thumb drive I was using and detected a potential failure and I ended up replacing it with this new thumb drive. The new one has worked with 11.1 SMART so not sure if this is in fact a bug in 11.1-U1. I will submit something and see what they say. I appreciate your help and responses in helping with this issue!

joeschmuck

Old Man
SMART really isn't designed for a USB Flash Drive, it's for hard drives so that is why I think it should not be enabled. Plus you can't do any testing in the USB flash drive, or should I say that I've never been able to get that to work. SMART will tell you the capacity and maybe the health but anything more, naw. Someday maybe.

johncz

Cadet
As I’ve have mentioned in another post it has forewarned me of a potential failure on the previous USB drive so if it’s available I prefer the ability to monitor it. I have submitted this as a bug and it is slated for U2-B1. Thanks for the comments.

pbryan

Dabbler
I'm sorry to bring this thread back to life but this fix does not work for me. I just updated from 9.10.2-U6 to 11.1-U5 and everything works except smartd will not start. First, I checked /var/log/messages the logs to see whats up and found this:

smartd[6516]: Unable to register device /dev/da1 (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.

Then, I followed these instructions and tried again. Now I get this:

smartd[3204]: Configuration file /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf parsed but has no entries

So I googled around and found a Reddit post, another Reddit post, and this thread. I tried manually adding "-d removable" to the entry in the file /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf, but when I try to start smartd, I get NO MESSAGES AT ALL and smartd still doesn't start.

If I reboot, all changes to /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf are wiped out (which IMO is expected; it's not supposed to be modified via cli) so I can't manually add this. Am I doing something wrong? Did I skip a step?

sirjorj

Dabbler
I just started getting this right after I updated to 11.1-U5. Once I unchecked the Enabled SMART box as described above, it works fine.

pbryan

Dabbler
It seems like I'm the only one where unchecking "Enabled SMART" did not work. :-(

Redcoat

MVP
It seems like I'm the only one where unchecking "Enabled SMART" did not work. :-(
What is your boot device? What physically is da1?

pbryan

Dabbler
An SD card mirror, listed as "da8".

Hardware: Dell R530, Xeon E5-2630v4, 64GB DDR4, 8x 4TB SAS 7.2K, 2x 16GB SD Card (Mirror)
Software: FreeNAS 11.1-U5
Current Pool: 8x 4TB RAID10 (Mirror)

diskdiddler

Wizard
and you disabled SMART for the SD card?

I'd disable smart for ALL DRIVES except the actual platter hard drives? (if you haven't?)

pbryan

Dabbler
and you disabled SMART for the SD card?

I'd disable smart for ALL DRIVES except the actual platter hard drives? (if you haven't?)

Yes, that's what I did. Starting smartd gives me a "Configuration file ... parsed but has no entries" error/message and smartd still doesn't start.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Sorry beyond me at this point :( other guys here are much more cluey thoug.

Dudleydogg

Explorer
Smart worked on the USB like everyone stated till this Update for me its 11.1-U5, Reading this post in the GUI under View Disks I added the "-d removable" to the S.M.A.R.T. extra Options dialog. Smart runs now.
stephen@san:~ % ps aux|grep smartd
root 21415 0.0 0.0 10704 4944 - Is 22:30 0:00.24 /usr/local/sbin/smartd -n -i 1800 -c /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf -p /var/run/smartd-daemon.pid