SMART Results for Lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.

godman91

Cadet
Hello all,

I am rather new to the FreeNAS system. I have had this running for only a few days of time and I was able to learn a bunch about ZFS, SMART, ARC, L2ARC, etc.. However, I am still learning. I have attached a screenshot of the results of short SMART self-tests. Can someone let me know what the lifetime(in hours) represents for the drive. I think it is referring to the lifespan left of the HDD but I would like to confirm.

SMART_results.png

joeschmuck

Old Man
Check out the link in my signature for SMART Results.

EDIT: Actually that may not answer your specific question. The specific values you indicated are the power on hour time the test was completed or failed.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Say, you don't have SMART Short tests scheduled to be conducted every hour, do you? Change that to once a day and the Long tests to once a week. These are my personal preferences, others have different opinions.

godman91

Cadet
Okay, thank you joeschmuck for answering my question. I am glad to know the lifetime does not represent life expectancy of the drive. I do not have any schedule created at this time; however, I will go off of your personal preferences.

Also, just to add, I don't run the FreeNAS all day. I turn it on every now and again when I want to do some work with my ESXi lab environment (the Freenas acts as the ISCSI datastore for the hosts).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Okay, thank you joeschmuck for answering my question. I am glad to know the lifetime does not represent life expectancy of the drive. I do not have any schedule created at this time; however, I will go off of your personal preferences.

Also, just to add, I don't run the FreeNAS all day. I turn it on every now and again when I want to do some work with my ESXi lab environment (the Freenas acts as the ISCSI datastore for the hosts).
You would probably be happier with something other than FreeNAS/ZFS, then...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I dunno, but ZFS requires monstrous amounts of resources to present applications with block devices, so you'd want something based on a simpler filesystem, possibly with hardware RAID.

Status
Not open for further replies.