Help - Interpreting Smart Test Results

k2skaterii

Cadet
I bought 5 x cheap "White label" 4TB drives off Ebay last week for my home lab - a place where I can screw around with stuff, learn and tinker. Production data - NO. Other people's data - NO. In the event of data loss, who will be upset - Me. That being said, please resist the urge to remind me that I should have purchased better, high quality, branded, etc drives for my setup!!

When my new drives showed up, I dove in head first working to get the new drives installed:
1. I backed up the data that was residing on my 7x 2TB RAIDz2 storage pool.
2. Exported / Disconnected the old storage pool
3. With the system powered down, removed the 7x 2TB drives and installed my new 5x 4TB drives.
4. Setup a new storage pool / vDEV / created shares / etc.
5. Migrated the data to the storage pool with the new drives

So Far so good. 36 hours later - there are alerts similar to "Device: /dev/ada1, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors". When that happened I kicked off long SMART tests on all of my new drives (smartctl -t long /dev/ada[0-4]). When the long test was complete, ada1's status changed to failed.

Obviously there are issues with the drive, and I will be contacting the seller to replace the failed drive. As I am reviewing the results using (smartctl -a /dev/ada[0-4]), the "Lifetime(hours)" values caught my eye - See Below. I've attached the entire output from the failed disk incase that helps any.

Could the SMART test results #6 & #7 with 51,000+ hours be from my old 2TB drives, or was I sold a "New drive" that is actually a Refurb?

Thank you!
Ken

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Short offline Completed without error 00% 54 -
# 2 Extended offline Completed: read failure 80% 43 950437684
# 3 Extended offline Completed: read failure 80% 39 950437684
# 4 Short offline Completed without error 00% 30 -
# 5 Extended offline Completed: read failure 80% 6 950437684
# 6 Short offline Completed without error 00% 51202 -
# 7 Short offline Completed without error 00% 51200 -

Attachments

• SMART-Results-ada1.txt
    10.3 KB · Views: 189

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Looks to me like someone erased the smart data on and old used up drive and pawned it off as new.

Could also be triggered by a firmware update. Either way, you may have been ripped off (or the seller got ripped off from where they acquired them.)

k2skaterii

Cadet
Looks to me like someone erased the smart data on and old used up drive and pawned it off as new.

That's what I was afraid of... All of the "new drives" have similar 50K+ hours listed in that section of the smart test results. Before I start slinging #$#% in the seller's direction, I'd like to be 100% positive.

I suppose it's worth mentioning, the old 2TB drives all had lifetime hours over 50k hours.... which is one reason why my first instinct says "PEBCAK error".

Before I start slinging #$#% in the seller's direction, I'd like to be 100% positive.

Consider counterfeit money. Who's to say that the fake bills originated (or were known) by the buyer? Who originally traded them to the buyer? In your case, the seller can always claim they purchased them in bulk at a discount and they were told the drives were new.

As long as they're willing to issue a refund, that's the most important thing.