BUILD Small Business Build - Have I made a mistake somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David3D

Explorer
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of putting together a server for a small business. We are a design/printing company. Design files for illustrator and photoshop as well as various applications for printers are served from a central location and saved back. I'm looking at a RAIDZ2 configuration for 12TB of usable storage with a two disk fault tolerance.

I wanted to come up with something fast-ish that won't end up over-kill. I've done a lot of reading here and I hope it's paid off. Here is the build:

CHASSIS: Standard 2U Workgroup rackmount chassis
Motherboard: Supermicro board of some description/Have not decided yet
CPU: CPU Intel XEON E3-1230 V3 4C/8T 3.3GHZ 8MB CACHE
MEMORY: 32GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM (4X 8GB ECC CL11 DIMMS)
HARD DISK: 8X 4TB Enterprise drives
RAID CARD: Undecided (Possibly Adaptec 6805E 8 Port SAS/SATA PCI-E RAID Controller - Need to check if it will be OK - No particular preference)
Power Supply: Redundant 740W power supplies (Overkill, but about all I can get my hands on with this configuration)

If anyone has any suggestions or can pick up any short falls or places I might be able to improve, let me know.

Cheers,
David

danb35

Hall of Famer
For an optimal RAIDZ2 configuration that will meet your capacity requirements, you only need 6x 4 TB drives (actually, 6x 3 TB will do it). A SuperMicro X9SCL board (which I'm using, with that same CPU) has 6 SATA ports, so you can run all the drives from the motherboard. A RAID controller is not needed or desirable with ZFS, but if you need more drive ports, the IBM M1015 seems to be very popular--it would give you 8 more drives' capacity, on top of the 6 drives that the motherboard will handle. I'd expect 16 GB of RAM would be adequate, though I'm sure more won't hurt.

Z300M

Guru
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of putting together a server for a small business. We are a design/printing company. Design files for illustrator and photoshop as well as various applications for printers are served from a central location and saved back. I'm looking at a RAIDZ2 configuration for 12TB of usable storage with a two disk fault tolerance.

I wanted to come up with something fast-ish that won't end up over-kill. I've done a lot of reading here and I hope it's paid off. Here is the build:

CHASSIS: Standard 2U Workgroup rackmount chassis
Motherboard: Supermicro board of some description/Have not decided yet
CPU: CPU Intel XEON E3-1230 V3 4C/8T 3.3GHZ 8MB CACHE
MEMORY: 32GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM (4X 8GB ECC CL11 DIMMS)
HARD DISK: 8X 4TB Enterprise drives
RAID CARD: Undecided (Possibly Adaptec 6805E 8 Port SAS/SATA PCI-E RAID Controller - Need to check if it will be OK - No particular preference)
Power Supply: Redundant 740W power supplies (Overkill, but about all I can get my hands on with this configuration)

If anyone has any suggestions or can pick up any short falls or places I might be able to improve, let me know.

Cheers,
David
The Supermicro X10SL7-F has a total of 12 hard-disk ports on board -- 8 LSILogic SAS ports that will also handle SATA drives, plus 2 additional SATA3 ports and 4 SATA2 ports. So for the number of hard disks you're planning to use you don't need any other card. The X9SCL motherboard has just the 6 SATA ports -- and it uses a Xeon E3... V2 CPU. Flash the on-board LSILogic controller to IT mode: you do not want hardware RAID.

If you go for an X10-series board, make sure you get RAM that is on Supermicro's "Tested RAM" list: Hynix or Samsung. Kingston no longer has 8GB modules on their recommended list for those motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.