BUILD Small Form Factor build

Status
Not open for further replies.

slo77y

Cadet
Hey Folks!

Since i ran mdadm for about 5 years and blindly expanded my Raid5 array, three weeks ago i lost 18TB of data during an attempt do reshape my 8x3TB raid5 array to raid6. (Yes, i was _REALLY_ stupid, i know that by now).

So i searched for a better solution and came accross ZFS and FreeNAS, of course.

I´ve researched what kind of a build would suit me the best, and i put together the following components-list:

System Hardware:

Case: SilverStone SST-DS380B
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G
Board: ASUS P9D-I
CPU: Core i3-4130T
RAM: KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G
Controller: SERVERAID M1015 SAS/SATA

Disks:

8x4TB: Seagate St4000vn000
2x 2,5" 2TB drives

vPool:
RAID-Z2

*Raw Storage: 32.0 TB / 32000.0 GB
*Usable Storage: 21.8 TB / 22351.7 GB

Cost:
about 2000€ (i live in germany) all together, but money shall not be the issue.

Planned configuration:

the 8 St4000 all will be connected to the M1015, maxing it out and containing a single RAID-Z2 zPool. This pool will be used mostly for media files and private data, but also my buisness data which is of the highest importance to me. (losing that data will instantly cost me thousands of bucks and many angry customers) because of this there will be a second zpool, which is a plain mirror. the important buisness data will be backed up once a day from the big pool to the small mirror-pool. once a week (or so). i will again backup that buisness data to an external HDD, (maybe to some USB-enclosure that supports internal raid1, if my paranoia doesnt get better) which will be moved to a different physical location.

Questions:

Is that configuration at all a good idea?
Are there any dangers i didnt think about?

I know, i have to make a backup of the crucial data, thats why i will do two backups: one internally, and one offshore. But i want my data to be as safe as possible for a small home-use/one-man-company application.

I want the System to be as low-power-consuming as possible, thats why i went with the i3 instead of a Xeon. Only exception are the drives, as i have read a lot of horror stories on the net about WD RED 4TB drives.

If anyone could give me a rough idle power-estimate, that would be fantastic. What really would interest me, does it power-usage-wise fall in the same category as the well known hp-pro-liant servers?

If anything else comes to your mind regarding that build, i would really be interested in your thoughts, _whatever_ it is. I just lost 18TB data, although most of it was non-important, i managed to back-up my buisness-data in the last second. the old array actually died minutes after the backup was completed, and that of course scared the crap out of me, i dont want that to ever happen again!

Thanks a lot!

PS: great forum, great posts, i already read a lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.