BUILD ASRock C2550D4I & Silverstone DS380

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZFS Fan

Cadet
About to build (first dedicated NAS) and I'd like to get some basic feedback before I order.

-----------------------
As background info, I'm currently using on-board intel mobo "fake" RAID5 with 4x3TB drives on windows 7...yeah I know, I know.

Anyway I've filled the array and was going to get a synology 1813+ when I discovered FreeNAS.
-----------------------

After spending three days reading the forums, the n00b guide, the manual, etc. I think I'm ready to build.

Here is what I'm planning:

Mobo & Proc: ASRock C2550D4I
Case: Silverstone DS380
PSU: Silverstone SFF 350 (already in unused HTPC)
HDD's: 8x4TB western digital OR HGST NAS drives. For RAIDz2 array
RAM: 16GB Kingston ECC @ 1600Mhz

Before deciding on FreeNAS I wrote a list of must haves. FreeNAS meets everything software related, but I need to make sure I'm doing my part with the hardware.

My requirements are:
Saturate Gb line with read speeds
Backup to crash plan
ZFS file system
Low Power
Simple and low/no maintenance
Send emails with fault data (if any)
Full drive diagnostics / SMART monitoring

Now then, I have a few things I'd like to bounce off the community.

8 drive RAIDZ2...I know 6 drives are optimal, and I know FreeNAS will warn me that 8 isn't. Is an 8 drive array unwise in a 4 - 5 user environment? I could add 2 more drives in the case to make 8+2, but they wouldn't be hot swap and I'd need to do some light medal fab. Thoughts?

C2550 ... I know the great get a Xeon argument, but at this TDP and 12 on board ports (no transcoding) I think this could be a winner. I just need to saturate a Gb network with windows shares. Reviews are limited but I just need to know I'm not doing something stupid here.

HDD's... I read the backblaze blog on how great hitachi is and how segate is junk (relatively speaking). So between reds (lower RPM, power, price) and the Hitachi 7200 RPM but more reliable what does the crown think?

That's it for now...I'd link everything to be nice but I'm on my iPad and it keeps clearing this window :(.

Thanks,

UPDATE: I went with six 4Tb HGST NAS drives and two 1TB drives for jails, .system, and user profile data.

The C2550 works like a dream, sips power and saturated my Gb connection...had to RMA my first board though. Second one works great!

The Silverstone case is a dream and was a pleasure to install in.

Hope this helps!

MDKRUSH

Explorer

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The crashplan stuff isn't built in. It's going to take work on your part. Depending on how FreeBSD saavy you are, you might figure it out in a few days, or maybe never. I can't tell you how many people have failed to get crashplan to work despite days or weeks of trying.

You aren't going to saturate Gb LAN with that CPU. It doesn't have the required single-threaded performance necessary. You're going to need to go with something like a G3220 or G2020 if you want high CIFS performance for low TDP. I believe someone said they hit about 70MB/sec best case with it.

As for which is more reliable, that's as varied as what religion is "best".

MDKRUSH

Explorer
With mine CIFS I average 90 according to windows using encryption. Some times 100+ but average 90 ish...

MDKRUSH

Explorer
Fyi... I tried to setup crashplan and had no success...

MDKRUSH

Explorer
Status
Not open for further replies.