BUILD Small Business Build (2x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoa

Dabbler
Greetings!

Although I have not registered in the forums until now, I have been a frequent reader ( jgreco, hoping to have you here... )

I'm on the 5th generation of custom built ZFS servers for private use, started from a humble setup and finally have a decent server with the obligatory ECC RAM, low power CPU, server-grade board, 2xNIC, 6x(3TB)HDD, and so on and so on. Currently dreaming of 4xSSD for log and cache (I'm starting to realize it never ends...).

Anyway, going straight to the point now.

I'm the IT/Sysadmin/do-it-all at a small company and we are looking to stabilise our current data storage system with a new tier. We already have a nice running ZFS setup for backups, but this was more of a test setup, since it has no ECC, etc., etc..

Everything went so well that we are going to trust ZFS (FreeNAS) with a new data tier; the main storage tier is with an HP RAID 6 setup with 12 HDDs.

What is wanted:

* Two new servers to function as a new data pool, replicated between each other. The HP setup will then only host critical data.

* Decent solution, doesn't have to be hardcore, but nice.

* We are budget constrained at the moment. Total cost of one server should stay under 2000 USD, with HDDs. We can do one server at a time, to stay within budget.

* We can go with 4xHDD since our storage needs can be contained on a ZFS2 setup with 3TB disks (5.5TB), but 6 would be nice.

* At least 2 x 1Gbps NIC

* Some management solution (iLO, etc.).

* We need the solution last month. Or earlier.

* Ideally a turn-key solution. I don't think I can make the CEOs feel comfortable with a custom built solution yet (hardware-wise); although this is not imperative.

Were I am now:

Low Spec Option:

I was looking at the new HP Proliant MicroServers Gen8 which would fit the bill, however my concern is on the PSU since it is non-redundant, but at 1200 USD with the disks, I cannot ask for a lot I guess (not including the 16GB RAM upgrade), and being a 2 server setup I would get some redundancy there.

Performance-wise I'm curious; we intend to use these servers to provide iSCSI to a set of nice (and capable) servers, which among other things would provide CIFS to the clients (therefore less load on the HP MicroServers).

Summary: Low-Cost, limited upgradeability, no redundancy, perfomance?

Medium Spec Option:

The HP ML310e G8 with an i3220 CPU, allowing me to go up to 32GB RAM, with 2xNIC + iLO. This has support for 4xHDD, via the P222, at 800 USD (with 2GB RAM only). It also allows me to add an extra PSU, so I'm covered and happy.

Summary: Accessible price, allows upgrades, has redundancy, seems capable to handle the tasks.

High Spec Option:

HP ProLiant DL380e Gen8, E5-2407, with redundant PSU and 16GB RAM at 2000 USD. Blows the budget without disks.

I'm leaning towards the Medium Spec Option:

Server: 800
Disks: 600 (3TB WD Red)
RAM: 320 (4 x 8GB ECC)

Total cost would be: 1720, nicely within budget.
I would just like to know if someone has some comments on this setup or known issues with it.
Suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, custom built is what I prefer. Then you know exactly what you are getting yourself into. It also favors FreeNAS since FreeBSD has some strict hardware compatiblity lists.

Not sure if you are aware of this but HBAs are preferred over RAID controllers. That 2GB cache on your medium build tells me its not a HBA. That can be a drawback(and is a waste of money). RAID controllers can actually hurt ZFS performance(bigtime.. I'm talking performance decrease of 50% or more) even if we ignore the potential reliability lost from SMART monitoring and testing being inaccessible.

Take a look at my build(slide 58 has my exact hardware, link is in my sig). M1015s are the HBA of choice. 8xSAS 6Gbps for $100 can't be beat!

I'm confused on whether your plans are to run a hardware RAID6 with ZFS or not. Hardware RAID shouldn't be fixed with ZFS under any circumstances. You lose alot of the benefits of ZFS, performance isn't as good, and you lose SMART monitoring and testing(unless you do them manually from the CLI, and this is assuming you even can as most can't). If you want to do RAIDZ2 I wouldn't go over 8 disks. An 11 disk RAIDZ3 is the widest you should go, especially if performance is important.

I'm not sure where your budget limits come from, but if you follow the stickies(even if you go over the budget) you will have a far better server than buying lower quality components just to make the budget. I can't tell you how many people built a system the cheap way, they found it it wasn't reliable and some hardware wasn't compatible. Suddenly they're buying an M1015 and a dual port Intel NIC and have higher power usage because they didn't just build it right the first time.

Whattteva

Wizard
The FreeNAS website doesn't seem to list prices of their systems, but maybe you could look into one of the IX Systems server.
You get the added bonus of guaranteed compatibility, support when you need it, and you get the peace of mind that you help support more future FreeNAS development.
Prices may not be in your range depending on what you're quoted though. But hey, it's worth asking.

jpoa

Dabbler
Greetings cyberjock!

Absolutely no idea of using Hardware RAID with ZFS.

I am taking a look at your slides, great stuff!

Thanks!

jms703

Dabbler
I'm curious to hear what you decided on.

The ML310E is not a bad option, if you get the model that includes the E3-1230. That chassis allows for 4 LFF (3.5" drives) and if you have your own HBA (M1015 or LSA9211-8i) you can add up to 3 more drives in the 2 5.25" bays using an ICYDOCK or equivalent.

You could also build your own, if you know what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.