SM X10SL7 - BIOS 2.2 and IPMI 1.92

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Theyve posted yet another BIOS! version 3.0 o_O

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
3.0? Big new versions tend to align with new processors. Are we going to get Broadwell Xeon E3s?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Release notes?

mjws00

Guru
I couldn't find em. No readme... nothin in the package or on the site.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Changelog:

1. Updated ME firmware to 3.0.7.24

2. Updated Intel RC 2.7.1

3. Kernel Code Update to HashWell Refresh 4.6.5.4_VEB_1ARXN018.

4. Support BroadWell CPU.

5. Change BIOS revision to 3.0

Seems like broadwell E3 will come..? :)

rchunter

Dabbler
Just updated my x10sl7-f to ipmi 1.92 and bios 3.0. Now I can't get temp readings for my CPU or PCH. This sucks! I tried resetting ipmi to default with ipmicfg. I ran it, it says it completed but it should have erased all my ipmi settings and it didn't.
I also tried flashing bios 3.0 again with the the JPME1 & JPME2 jumpers set to pins 2 & 3. Didn't work. The bios acts like it's flashing and then at the end it says "failed sending enable message to ME". The MB still works but I think somehow in the flash process ipmi/BMC got corrupted and it's not reporting the right temps now. Any ideas what I should do??? Any of you guys have the number of someone at supermicro that can help me out? Do you think I should try and RMA the board? Thanks.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Just updated my x10sl7-f to ipmi 1.92 and bios 3.0. Now I can't get temp readings for my CPU or PCH. This sucks! I tried resetting ipmi to default with ipmicfg. I ran it, it says it completed but it should have erased all my ipmi settings and it didn't.
I also tried flashing bios 3.0 again with the the JPME1 & JPME2 jumpers set to pins 2 & 3. Didn't work. The bios acts like it's flashing and then at the end it says "failed sending enable message to ME". The MB still works but I think somehow in the flash process ipmi/BMC got corrupted and it's not reporting the right temps now. Any ideas what I should do??? Any of you guys have the number of someone at supermicro that can help me out? Do you think I should try and RMA the board? Thanks.

Well well well... :)

I had this a couple of times.

First, why did you reset IPMI with ipmicfg? You can do it through the web GUI.
When i flashed to 2.2 i had this issue myself. I tried removing power to the board for a couple of minutes. No go
Resetting through Web GUI solved it.

The first time i had this issue, i had to reflash with jumpers set. Did you flash properly? I'm asking because i got several messages at the end of flashing and then it hung for quite a while, leaving me thinking it was done when it were not.
It's not done until it says finished and the DOS prompt is back.

I would trie resetting through GUI first. And then reboot/powercycle your system.
If no go... do another flash and be sure that it is finished. Error messages might be because of you flashing with them jumpers..?

RMA probably won't help you as they clearly states they do not take responability for a BIOS flash failure.

Edit: Just for the record, you need to remove power before setting them jumpers.

rchunter

Dabbler
@ sir robin.
Did all that. I tried resetting ipmi (a few times) through web gui first. It resets my password but that's about it, it didn't erase any of my other ipmi settings. When I try reflashing the 3.0 bios it ends with a dos prompt but it also throws up that ME error. JPME1 & JPME2 are set to pins 2 & 3. Do you think trying to reflash ipmi 1.92 firmware in dos would help any?
So you're saying supermicro won't help me fix my issue if I send them back the board? If that's the case I will never buy another product from them. Guaranteed.

Last edited:

Sir.Robin

Guru
Well they have support and you can get help offcourse. But i don't think they will replace your board.

This is what they warn you on the BIOS page:

WARNING!
Please do not download / upgrade the BIOS/Firmware UNLESS your system has a BIOS/firmware-related issue. Flashing the wrong BIOS/firmware can cause irreparable damage to the system.

In no event shall Supermicro be liable for direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising from a BIOS/firmware update.

And that is pretty basic for any motherboard manufacturer i beleive. :-/

rchunter

Dabbler
Well they have support and you can get help offcourse. But i don't think they will replace your board.

This is what they warn you on the BIOS page:

WARNING!
Please do not download / upgrade the BIOS/Firmware UNLESS your system has a BIOS/firmware-related issue. Flashing the wrong BIOS/firmware can cause irreparable damage to the system.

In no event shall Supermicro be liable for direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising from a BIOS/firmware update.

And that is pretty basic for any motherboard manufacturer i beleive. :-/

Well if they can't at least tell me how to fix it myself i'm going to need them to do it. I tried emailing them more than 2 days ago. I guess i'm going to have to call them to get any response. I've probably flashed hundreds of different firmwares and bioses in my lifetime on different products and have never once had issues before. Like I said the initial flash didn't even fail but I think something got corrupted in ipmi/bmc. Classic supermicro finicky hardware is more than likely the issue. This is, after all, a pretty common problem on this forum. You even said it happened to you. Anyway thanks for your help.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Supermicro europe has been fairly quick to respond to me.

I have been flashing stuff at home and at work for 20 years... only had one bad flash. So it's rare... but can happen. Although my one time were because of a incompatible flash utility that Abit shipped with my new BH6 board.
My reseller gave me a new one :)

How about reflashing with the 2.2 version?

rchunter

Dabbler
Supermicro europe has been fairly quick to respond to me.

I have been flashing stuff at home and at work for 20 years... only had one bad flash. So it's rare... but can happen. Although my one time were because of a incompatible flash utility that Abit shipped with my new BH6 board.
My reseller gave me a new one :)

How about reflashing with the 2.2 version?

I'd gladly try it. Can I downgrade bioses like that? Where can I download it? All I see is V3.0 on their website and looking around their ftp site I can't find it either.

Last edited:

Sir.Robin

Guru
As far as i know it should not be a problem. I did an downgrade attempt myself with the 1.10 BIOS at the time i had my first temp issue.
I also noted to the technician at Supermicro that i did this and he did not comment or warn against it.

Just for the record. I will not take any responsability for it!

I have it in my archive so i can email you if you want it. Just send me a PM.

Last edited:

rchunter

Dabbler
As far as i know it should not be a problem. I did an downgrade attempt myself with the 1.10 BIOS at the time i had my first temp issue.
I also noted to the technician at Supermicro that i did this and he did not comment or warn against it.

Just for the record. I will not take any responsability for it!

I have it in my archive so i can email you if you want it. Just send me a PM.

ok thanks.

Last edited:

Sir.Robin

Guru
Tried to send .zip and .7z... both fail. Referring to yahoo attachemnet guidelines...

TXAG26

Patron
Just rename the file extension to a .jpeg or .doc and it should go right though. I used to do that all the time with gmail and they too blocked any type of self-executing files like zip and exe.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Yeah i know. Figured it out eventually :) thanx

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
At least Gmail has the decency to actually check the ZIPs for .exes before rejecting them. It just lets .7z right through.

Status
Not open for further replies.