SM X10SL7 - BIOS 2.2 and IPMI 1.92

Status
Not open for further replies.

rchunter

Dabbler
OK, tried flashing 2.2 bios with jpme1 & jpme2 set to pins 2 & 3. The bios flashes fine, at the end it says these 2 things.
"update success for /FDT"
then it says "error when sending enable message to ME" Please power off your system blah blah blah. Basicly just like last time.
So now i'm at bios 2.2 and pretty much at a stand still until supermicro decides to contact me back. At least my server still works I just can't tell if my CPU is overheating or not. lol.
I emailed support twice and even emailed europa netherlands support email. So far nothing yet.

rchunter

Dabbler
Now go in and reset your BMC IPMI though the web interface. Doing this after a bios update should get the sensors working again. I had to do this awhile back.

Why am I getting the management engine error when I flash the bios?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Maybe something to do with the jumpers? Tried flashing while jumpers are set to normal posistion?

rchunter

Dabbler
Maybe something to do with the jumpers? Tried flashing while jumpers are set to normal posistion?

Yeah. Same thing. Still get the ME error. Also, unit reset & factory defaulting ipmi right after the bios flash doesn't help.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Yeah. Same thing. Still get the ME error. Also, unit reset & factory defaulting ipmi right after the bios flash doesn't help.

Did you get any help from supermicro on this?

rchunter

Dabbler
Did you get any help from supermicro on this?

Still trying. I called them on the phone yesterday and the guy asked me to send them a screen capture of the bios flash and the error message. I emailed it but haven't heard back from them yet. I really don't have much hope that they'll answer me back and help me with the issue. The guy acted like he didn't want to be bothered when I talked to him. If worse comes to worse i'll either live with not being able to read my cpu temp or i'll break down and buy a new motherboard.

Attachments

• bios flash me error.jpg
    bios flash me error.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 389

Sir.Robin

Guru
Still trying. I called them on the phone yesterday and the guy asked me to send them a screen capture of the bios flash and the error message. I emailed it but haven't heard back from them yet. I really don't have much hope that they'll answer me back and help me with the issue. The guy acted like he didn't want to be bothered when I talked to him. If worse comes to worse i'll either live with not being able to read my cpu temp or i'll break down and buy a new motherboard.

Seeing your error message, i'm quite sure i have seen it on my system aswell. o_O

The last time i flashed i did it with the built in BIOS update function in IPMI... so i couldn't see the messages.

rchunter

Dabbler
Seeing your error message, i'm quite sure i have seen it on my system aswell. o_O

The last time i flashed i did it with the built in BIOS update function in IPMI... so i couldn't see the messages.

hmm, so you're saying the error is normal? I thought it was one of the main reasons I couldn't get my cpu and pch temps. Regardless I've tried everything and what they have suggested me do so far isn't working. I'm ready to rma the board. I've asked them about it through email and i'll wait and see if they respond. If I can't get them to rma I'll probably sell it "as is" on ebay and buy a new board. This time I guarantee I won't ever flash anything. Supemicro support has been pretty much crap let me tell you. They are turtle slow with responding to email and the tech support people there barely speak english. I'm really not a happy camper. If I wasn't so tied in with ipmi and owning a server board I would look for some other companies board to purchase.

BTW looking around the net I found this site. The guy is getting the same error message. He mentions using a special *patched* bios in order to fix it. https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wik...ilure_Error_when_sending_Enable_Message_to_ME

Z300M

Guru
hmm, so you're saying the error is normal? I thought it was one of the main reasons I couldn't get my cpu and pch temps. Regardless I've tried everything and what they have suggested me do so far isn't working. I'm ready to rma the board. I've asked them about it through email and i'll wait and see if they respond. If I can't get them to rma I'll probably sell it "as is" on ebay and buy a new board. This time I guarantee I won't ever flash anything. Supemicro support has been pretty much crap let me tell you. They are turtle slow with responding to email and the tech support people there barely speak english. I'm really not a happy camper. If I wasn't so tied in with ipmi and owning a server board I would look for some other companies board to purchase.

BTW looking around the net I found this site. The guy is getting the same error message. He mentions using a special *patched* bios in order to fix it. https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wik...ilure_Error_when_sending_Enable_Message_to_ME
Both emails I have sent to Supermicro tech support have been answered promptly. English is not their native language, but the responses were intelligible, and their suggested solution to the problem worked.

rchunter

Dabbler
Both emails I have sent to Supermicro tech support have been answered promptly. English is not their native language, but the responses were intelligible, and their suggested solution to the problem worked.

Well lucky you.... My experience with them is the exact opposite. Everything they have suggested I try I had already tried 2 weeks ago. Loading optimized defaults before bios flash didn't fix anything. And changing the jumper pins didn't either. So if that's all the suggestions they have then i'm going to need a new board.

TXAG26

Patron
Well lucky you.... My experience with them is the exact opposite. Everything they have suggested I try I had already tried 2 weeks ago. Loading optimized defaults before bios flash didn't fix anything. And changing the jumper pins didn't either. So if that's all the suggestions they have then i'm going to need a new board.

Have you tried flashing an older bios version and then reflashing back to bios v2.2? You're on v1.92 for IPMI, right?

I would try flashing back to X10SSL74.424 (April 24, 2014 version), and then flash to X10SL75.324 (March 24, 2015 version). I would not suggest moving past v2.2 at this time. PM me if you need these bios files (here's a list of the ones I have for this board).

x10sl7 bios - Copy.JPG

rchunter

Dabbler
Have you tried flashing an older bios version and then reflashing back to bios v2.2? You're on v1.92 for IPMI, right?

I would try flashing back to X10SSL74.424 (April 24, 2014 version), and then flash to X10SL75.324 (March 24, 2015 version). I would not suggest moving past v2.2 at this time. PM me if you need these bios files (here's a list of the ones I have for this board).

View attachment 7855

Thanks, you have pm. I tried flashing 2.2 but nothing older.

craigdt

Explorer
So I stupidly updated my BIOS to 3.0 as I was not thinking.

This was due to me staying up late to upgrade the LSI firmware for the new version of FreeNAS and I thought I might as well do the IPMI firmware as well, then I thought why stop there when I can do the BIOS as well (seriously what was I thinking).

In doing the upgrade I ended up with this weird beeping sound during startup of the server that continued its way through to the boot of the FreeNAS, during this time of the beeping sound the system to pause briefly making the system sluggish, this includes navigating and performing functions in the BIOS screen.

I spent a considerable amount of time pulling the whole system down trying to isolate the issue, re-flashing the bios and the LSI firmware with no resolution, started looking for the older version of the BIOS only it is no longer available on the supermicro website.

The beeping sound I was getting was 2 beeps close together repeating, a low tone and a high tone.

In the end it turned out to be the Eaton 5P UPS plugged into the top left USB port in the back of this motherboard that was causing the beeping sound and the pausing in the base level of the system.

I have uploaded a sound file of the beeps in case anyone is interested in hear it. If the bios beep codes are to go by, this would be a memory parity error. But it isn't

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv4h9izce9g6d9c/Beeps Long Time.mp3?dl=0

For the moment, I'm reluctant to plug the UPS usb plug back into the NAS, I did plan on hooking it up to the pfSense box instead and use that as the master, but just never got around to doing it.

So I guess my question is, does anyone have any ideas on how to get around the issue or would I need to contact supermicro support ?

Sir.Robin

Guru
trie loading the bios defaults and reset ipmi to factory defaults. you can also trie a reflash with them jumpers set wich we have dicussed earlier in this thred.

if u need it, i can email u the ver. 2.2 bios :)

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

TXAG26

Patron
EDIT - DISREGARD. I personally stayed on bios v2.2 with my X10SL7-F. I heard there were some weird issues that cropped up with v3.x and my X10SL7-F has been solid with v2.2. PM me a drobox shared folder link if you need any of the prior X10SL7-F bios or firmware. I have an archive with the last 5 bios versions and last 4 firmware versions (up to bios v2.2 and firmware v1.92).

EDIT: 12/4/2015 - I had some downtime and tried flashing my X10SL7-F to Bios v3.0 and it went smooth this time. Be sure if you update the bios through the IPMI webpage that you "Uncheck" the "Preserve SMBIOS" box. I had NO Boxes checked and it flashed without any issues. I noticed with Bios v2.2, my system would not complete the power-on process if it was cold-booted. I would have to hit the soft reset button in order to get it to POST and boot. Flashing to Bios v3.0 seems to have solved this issue.

Last edited:

craigdt

Explorer
trie loading the bios defaults and reset ipmi to factory defaults. you can also trie a reflash with them jumpers set wich we have dicussed earlier in this thred.

if u need it, i can email u the ver. 2.2 bios :)

Thanks for replying :)

I tried pretty much all of what you mentioned, I ended up spending nearly my entire weekend on the issue, I think I have a few more grey hairs because of it.

Sad thing is, when 3.0 initially came out, I deliberately ignored it, honestly don't know what possessed me to upgrade it recently :(

I'll send you a PM with a link to a drop box file upload request for the bios, much appreciated.

It's still a weird issue with the UPS usb though, usb keyboard I had didn't seem to cause the issue.

craigdt

Explorer
I personally stayed on bios v2.2 with my X10SL7-F. I heard there were some weird issues that cropped up with v3.x and my X10SL7-F has been solid with v2.2. PM me a drobox shared folder link if you need any of the prior X10SL7-F bios or firmware. I have an archive with the last 5 bios versions and last 4 firmware versions (up to bios v2.2 and firmware v1.92).

Definitely weird issues with 3.0, I should have stayed on 2.2.

Thanks for the offer for the upload :) I'll PM you with the dropbox link as well, wouldn't mind getting the different versions of the bios off you for safe keeping

Thanks

Sir.Robin

Guru
how did it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.