slower performance with freenas 9x than with 8x

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsguy

I'm not sure what options might exist for your old hardware.

If one were starting over, jgreco's "So you want some hardware suggestions" thread will give you some ideas of what's recommended for FreeNAS.

nvader

Explorer

@cyberjock - I'm continuing to research and attempt to increase performance before i pull the plug and go back to 8.3.1.
I have however learned allot along the way.
For instance as i re-read this thread. I now know why my zfs versioning is different. I didn't realize we switched to OpenZFS. I was so focused on the new plugin system that i didn't really pay much attention to anything under the hood.

Anyways - more testing and research, have shown me that my write speeds are pretty good. I get around 100-120 mb /sec write.
but my read speeds are where things fall off.. i'm still getting 60-90 mb/sec read. average around 80's.
Do you feel this is a lack of ram issue? is there anything you can think of to improve read performance?

I also note with the new OpenZFS, that lz4 compression was enabled by default? is that correct? can i just turn that off at will? will it help performance?
If something was written with compression on and i turn it off, will it decompress correctly?
Thanks for your time.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The 2 biggest factors for ZFS performance(aside from disks) is RAM and CPU. Neither of which you have in abundant supply. For you, you're in a position where you have to upgrade both if you want to upgrade one. 8GB of RAM for your size of a server though is just asking for punishment in the performance department.

Status
Not open for further replies.