TrueNAS-13.0-U4 SMBv1 Write Performance

cleveradmin

Cadet
Your eyes do not deceive, I am talking about SMBv1. Hear me out. We have a client with an older imaging acquisition PC that is Windows XP. It still works and is still supported by the vendor. We have it locked down so the risk is minimized. It currently talks to a Window server and while it's working OK, we want to have it start talking to TrueNAS instead (partly security, partly so it's not fighting with other resources). The issue we are running into is that SMBv1 write performance on 13.0-U4 is very slow. Whereas our existing server is writing at ~400-500Mbps to the TrueNAS, the Windows XP device is only doing about 30Mbps (that's with the following aux parameters enabled - it was doing about half that speed without). Read speed is a respectable ~300Mbps. Of note, the Windows XP device can write to the current Windows server at ~100Mbps. I would appreciate any suggestions that don't include "stop using Windows XP". Hell, I'll accept those too!

Code:
ea support = no
store dos attributes = no
map archive = no
map hidden = no
map readonly = no
map system = no
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=64000 SO_RCVBUF=64000 SO_KEEPALIVE
getwd cache = yes
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
aio write size = 16384
aio read size = 16384
min receivefile size = 16384
use sendfile = yes
idmap cache time = 604
directory name cache size = 0

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Wow, I haven't thought about XP TCP tuning in forever. This sounds like the XP system is using a very small TCP window for the transfers to TrueNAS.

Scroll all the way to the bottom for XP tuning tips.

cleveradmin

Cadet
Wow, I haven't thought about XP TCP tuning in forever. This sounds like the XP system is using a very small TCP window for the transfers to TrueNAS.

Scroll all the way to the bottom for XP tuning tips.
But wouldn’t we see poor performance to the Windows server if XP alone was the issue? I’m happy to apply these, I’m just not convinced tweaking XP is the answer.

Samuel Tai

Windows Server tends to hold on to compatibility tunings for old clients. TrueNAS 13 is based on FreeBSD 13.1, which wouldn't know about ancient Windows TCP quirks. TCP tuning on the client is worth a shot.

Samuel Tai

OK, try turning on autotuning on the TrueNAS side in System->Advanced, and then rebooting.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It would be useful to know if 12.0 was faster... is this a new problem?

Samuel Tai

You'll have to sniff the traffic during an upload to see what's going on.