Slow uploads when downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a problem, when I download files from the FTP server and I start an upload from another computer, the download stay fast but the other PC upload the files at 5 mbits. I have installed Windows on the machine and installed FileZilla FTP Server just for testing and I can download and upload at my full speed, the server stay fast.

Also, when files is in download, the FTP commande load very slow. The NAS is plugged into a 8 ports gigabit switch, and the computers are plugged into a switch with 48 ports 100 mbits and a 1 gigabit port, this switch is plugged using a coper gigabit link into the 8 ports gigabit switch.

I have plugged the NAS direcly into the 48 ports switch, same issue, I try another switch, same issue too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Guillaume

Yatti420

Wizard
I'm confused.. This could be many things.. I would probably chalk it up to network setup.. FTP is bound to slow down with multiple things going on..

I have installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on the machine and setup FileZilla Server and the same things happen but at the moment I set the transfert buffer size to the default value, the issue was gone. I have set the value too high. I don't want a Windows machine like server, I want to re-install FreeNAS but I can't see where to change the transfert buffer size in FreeNAS, because the FTP become unusable when files is in download, the command load very slow and the uploads too.

I really need help please.

I see it but its not realy describe the issue I have.

Its look like a badly configurated buffer for the FTP. Because when I start an upload, the speed is very fast, but when a download start, the speed of the upload just drop to 5 or 6 mbits. And also the FTP commands just go very slow when a FTP download is in process. Please note, the download and the upload is make with two separate PC.

How I can fix that?

gpsguy

As Yatti420 said, it could be a number of things. Why don't you start over, by following the forum rules (see Yatti420's signature, above) and provide detailed information about your system.

While one could run Server 2008 on a machine 512Mb of RAM, you can't run ZFS on FreeNAS on that same hardware. We need more information.

The hardware is;

Build FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35)
Platform Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz
Memory 8110MB

Also the machine have 2 Gbps NICs and the server have SATA III ports for communicate with HDDs

Its a 24 Bay build with only one 6 Tb HDD with SATA III inserted into it.
Free NAS is installed on a 320 Gb Samsung 2.5in HDD with SATA II port.

If infos is missing , please just ask. :)

Rand

Guru
Its a 6TB drive? And you are sure it can read and write 100MB/s at the same time?
What size of test files are you using? Any full speed apperances on windows could be through caching methods if the file size is too small

Yes its a 6 TB drive, I do the test with PCs connected at 100 mbits to a switch with one Gbits port, the server is connected to a core switch at 1 Gbits and the 10o Mbits switch with one Gbits port is connected at the core Gbits switch too. So when a PC download at 100 Mbits, other PCs cannot upload more than 6 Mbits. This is normal or not? This is due to the use of the ZFS file system? The test file is a 2 Gb file.

joeschmuck

Old Man
What brand/model is this 6TB drive?

Also, I know you feel you are explaining your setup well but it's not very clear. My suggestion would be to take your FreeNAS server ethernet cable and plug it directly into you 8 port Gbit port and your computer needs to be plugged into the 8 port switch as well. Do not use the 100Mbit switch at all.

Now do your tests and be very descriptive in what you are doing. In fact, write it up as if you were telling us how to repeat your test and treat us like we know nothing at all about computers. This is the only way I feel you will get good and quick help.

I have already try to connected the server and the ''testing'' computer to the 8 port Gbits switch and the issue even happen. I try too a brand new switch, same issue too.

How I can change the FTP buffer size on the NAS? Because like I saids in one of my post, I have try Windows Server and the FTP server was FileZilla server, I has the same issue but I fix it by put the default value for the FTP buffer size. I have setted it to a too high value. So I want to use FreeNAS but the NAS become unusable when the issue happen.

I try also with NFS protocol and no issue with it, but I really need to use FTP.

SmallGuy

Guru
If I were you, I'd listen to the Joeschmuck advice telling you to troubleshoot with a set-up as simple as possible (i.e., 2 clients, FreeNAS and one switch).
Also you say you got 2 NIC on your system, are you using both with an exotic configuration, or are you using a single NIC?
And FYI, what you want to achieve is described in the documentation: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/FTP.
There is also a link from where you can find the description of extra parameters you can use on the auxilary parameter windows in advanced mode.

For answer your question, yes only FTP have issues. And also for answer the other question too, yes I have try to set up l my NAS with only 2 clients, the FreeNAS and one swich and the same issue happen. I have used only one NIC for do the tests. Also I have see your link but I dont see any place to change the FTP buffer. Exept a place who saids Command Buffer Size.

Sorry for my poor english.

Guillaume

Ok thanks for the info. And also, I see your link, its a command I need to enter in the terminal? Its fully what I search for. I just need to know how to execute it. Im not a Unix expert, sorry.

Ok I got it. In the sysctls, the command is;

sysctl -w kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=4000000

The variable will be; kern.ipc.maxsockbuf

And the value will be; 4000000

Where I put the -w ?

SmallGuy

Guru
Why don't you take the time to read the documentation, follow the link provided and understand what you're doing?
http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/by-name.html
http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/config_ref_MaxConnectionRate.html
http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/config_ref_SocketOptions.html

Using the google link above, you're tweaking the TCP stack for all the services.
As general rule don't use sysctl when simple auxiliary parameters could probably do the trick (and are easy to remove).
Try to make it simple first, and avoid tweaking Freenas especially when you don't know what you're doing.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you think that setting your maxosckbuf to that number is going to be a smart long-term choice, you should give up right now. That's a recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.