Is this upload and download speed normal?

Patek2

Dabbler
My internet is 600/100 Mb, I have a gigabit switch and cat 5e internet cables in my pc and Nas machine. My PC and NAS is connected to the TP LINK Gigabit Switch. I tested uploading files from Nvme (my PC) to IronWolf Seagate 2 TB HDD (NAS). Writing speed is fluctuating from 50-110 Mbits, 30+ Gb files took it 11 minutes to upload. Is this actually normal?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware.

You've basically given no one anything to work with, so the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.

Additionally, please review the Terminology and Abbreviations Primer. You appear to have flipped back and forth from an abbreviation that *probably* means megabits per second ("600/100 Mb") to another that appears to be gigabytes ("30+ Gb"). This sort of inconsistency is not helpful in technical discussions involving speeds.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
In addition to the details about your hardware requested above, details on the types of files copied would be useful.

Were you copying large, multi-gigabyte files (movies, ISOs) or were you copying a directory with files of varying sizes? A folder of 30,000 1MB files will move more slowly than 30 1GB files (or one 30GB file), as there are more filesystem operations involved, and more "back-and-forth" between client and server.

Patek2

Dabbler
In addition to the details about your hardware requested above, details on the types of files copied would be useful.

Were you copying large, multi-gigabyte files (movies, ISOs) or were you copying a directory with files of varying sizes? A folder of 30,000 1MB files will move more slowly than 30 1GB files (or one 30GB file), as there are more filesystem operations involved, and more "back-and-forth" between client and server.
It was a game folder, containging small files (folder was 30 gb large). The same goes with one large file mov. file (video) (that was 50 gb in size). One operation at the time. Back or Forth, speed were the same.

Patek2

Dabbler
Network statistic looks like this
1665914559250.png

diogen

Explorer
Is this actually normal?
It CAN be normal...
The same goes with one large file mov. file (video) (that was 50 gb in size)... Back or Forth, speed were the same.
If your PC uses an NVMe drive and transfer speed (using this drive!) stays the same regardless
- whether you transfer one multi-GB file or a bunch of smaller ones
- what direction the transfer is done;
then most likely the bottleneck is the TrueNAS server.

Start with listing the hardware of your server in details...

Patek2

Dabbler
It CAN be normal...

If your PC uses an NVMe drive and transfer speed (using this drive!) stays the same regardless
- whether you transfer one multi-GB file or a bunch of smaller ones
- what direction the transfer is done;
then most likely the bottleneck is the TrueNAS server.

Start with listing the hardware of your server in details...
i3 2 cores, 4 threads, 8 gb ram ddr3 1600 mhz, nas running on 120 gb ssd sata. Files are stored in two mirrored iron wolf seagate 2 tb.
It's HP ProDesk 600 G1

Last edited:

diogen

Explorer
What does iperf3 test say? Both ways...
How fragmented is the z1 pool?

What other duties does the TNS server perform?
If it's just for the game server VM, why don't you use ESXi?

Patek2

Dabbler
What does iperf3 test say? Both ways...
How fragmented is the z1 pool?

What other duties does the TNS server perform?
If it's just for the game server VM, why don't you use ESXi?
About this iperf3 test I have to check later.
Both HDD are fragmented as Mirror configuration.
For now I'm using TrueNas Scale as a NAS server.