download speed issue

Garyfix

Cadet
Hi all,
I am a newbee in TrueNAS. Installed it on HP DL180 G6 server (Pool 2 disks 10Tb each Mirror). Everything works perfect.
However when I decided to use TrueNAS plugin QBittorrent and GDrive cloud credentials (files move from GDrive to TrueNAS) to download data to my datasets I have noticed that the Internet speed connection (optical) between my home network and ISP drops down significantly from around 70-85Mbps to 1.5-6 Mbps (on download) and even my IPTV starts freezing. Upload speed is not affected. When I stop above mentioned services the speed recovers to normal. When I use such services on a PC the speed is not affected at all. I also called to ISP and asked if they use some algorithms to limit the connection speed and the answer was negative. Means this problems occur only on TrueNAS.
Have no idea where to dig. Appreciate any assistance.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi all,
I am a newbee in TrueNAS. Installed it on HP DL180 G6 server (Pool 2 disks 10Tb each Mirror). Everything works perfect.
However when I decided to use TrueNAS plugin QBittorrent and GDrive cloud credentials (files move from GDrive to TrueNAS) to download data to my datasets I have noticed that the Internet speed connection (optical) between my home network and ISP drops down significantly from around 70-85Mbps to 1.5-6 Mbps (on download) and even my IPTV starts freezing. Upload speed is not affected. When I stop above mentioned services the speed recovers to normal. When I use such services on a PC the speed is not affected at all. I also called to ISP and asked if they use some algorithms to limit the connection speed and the answer was negative. Means this problems occur only on TrueNAS.
Have no idea where to dig. Appreciate any assistance.

So your speed plummets when you start downloading lots of stuff?

There is no mechanism that TrueNAS uses to tell your ISP uplink to start sucking when it gets busy. These things do sometimes happen on their own. For example, some fiber ISP's limit per-flow TCP to a certain transfer speed, and since this may be happening in software on your CPE, you may notice a performance drop because the CPE cannot manage this trick at the demanded scale.