SOLVED TrueNAS SCALE max transfer speed only hitting only 10MB/s

Johnephen

Dabbler
Hey.
I'm new to the NAS scene and have only set up my TrueNAS Scale today. I followed a simple guide (the guide: https://youtu.be/iSpL9LnczVQ) and wanted to turn my aging computer with 4 HDDs & LAN adapters into a Nas. But I came across a problem shortly after finishing setup. Both with internal LAN, as well as above the adapter, I only get about 10mb/s as upload or download when copying data.

Of course, I want to use more than just 10mb/s, because on the one hand I don't want to need a whole week to back up my old hard drives on the Nas. That's why I wanted to ask why or what could be the reason. I have checked the Internet speed from an Ubuntu USB stick and this is just as moderate as on my computer.

So, with the Lan cables: I use a Tenda router and a Lan switch, whose brand I unfortunately do not know, but I got from an old server from my school (it has 20 prots and makes no difference in Internet speed after a test). I have connected my computer to the switch and the Swicht of course to the router. The NAS is connected directly to the router via the Ugreen network adapter.

My Router: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07Z7NY23Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My Lan-Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Network-Ethernet-Supports-Nintendo/dp/B00MYTSN18
NAS-CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400
NAS-Mainbord: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II
NAS-HDD: 4x Toshiba DT01ACA300 3000GB (Raid-z2)

If any information is missing or I should /can test something, I will try to respond to it. But most of all, I would like to achieve better speeds. minimum at least 30mb/s.

Johnephen

Dabbler
I used two ways, because unfortunately I don't know if they are different when testing. I just hope that should fit.

Attachments

• TrueNAS Shell 01.PNG
    TrueNAS Shell 01.PNG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,585
  • TrueNAS Shell 02.PNG
    TrueNAS Shell 02.PNG
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,556

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I used two ways, because unfortunately I don't know if they are different when testing. I just hope that should fit.
I think this iperf test if from the NAS to itself... 33Gbit/s, but not going over the LAN
You need to test to/from a NAS client.....
Then we'll see what that USB network adapter really does

Johnephen

Dabbler
And how do I do that? or which command should I use for this? Unfortunately, I do not understand this command or how to use it correctly.

Johnephen

Dabbler
Ok, sorry. I read again afterwards and learned a little more and also understood what you meant exactly. So that I should run the test from my computer with the NAS. I have now done the test from my Windows 10 computer and have really low speeds if I interpret this correctly. But I have good speeds in a normal speed test both from the Nas and from the computer, or am I wrong?

Attachments

• Speedtest Windows10.PNG
    Speedtest Windows10.PNG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,140
  • iperf Speedtest on Win10.PNG
    iperf Speedtest on Win10.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 803
  • Screenshot Ubuntu-USB on NAS.png
    Screenshot Ubuntu-USB on NAS.png
    745.7 KB · Views: 806

Johnephen

Dabbler
I think this iperf test if from the NAS to itself... 33Gbit/s, but not going over the LAN
You need to test to/from a NAS client.....
Then we'll see what that USB network adapter really does
I have now also compared it again from an Ubuntu Boot Stick with the Internal Lan and the Lan Adapter of the Nas and apparently both are similar. And for whatever reason I can't use my internal Lan, even if I haven't connected the adapter and only the normal Lan cable.

Attachments

• iperf Speedtest on Win10 to UbuntuNAS with LAN-Adapter.PNG
    iperf Speedtest on Win10 to UbuntuNAS with LAN-Adapter.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 628
  • iperf Speedtest on Win10 to UbuntuNAS with normal LAN.PNG
    iperf Speedtest on Win10 to UbuntuNAS with normal LAN.PNG
    27.1 KB · Views: 615

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I have now also compared it again from an Ubuntu Boot Stick with the Internal Lan and the Lan Adapter of the Nas and apparently both are similar. And for whatever reason I can't use my internal Lan, even if I haven't connected the adapter and only the normal Lan cable.

So these tests seem to indicate that the max network speed is about 11MB/s = about 100MBit/s

I think that is the limit of the USB stick to its switch?

Johnephen

Dabbler
That was also my guess. I completely reinstalled TrueNAS today, because I had already thought that my normal Lan port did not work, last time. After the fresh installation, both were shown as available under the Network tab and I was able to open the web interface from both, but the speed is just as slow for both. I have the Lan port on the Nas directly on the router, but the adapter still on the Lan Switch.

And thank you again for your help and thought-provoking examples

Attachments

• iperf Speedtest on Win10 to TrueNAS with LAN-Adapter (conect to Switch).PNG
    iperf Speedtest on Win10 to TrueNAS with LAN-Adapter (conect to Switch).PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 561
  • iperf Speedtest on Win10 to TrueNAS with normal LAN(conect on router).PNG
    iperf Speedtest on Win10 to TrueNAS with normal LAN(conect on router).PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 517
  • TrueNAS both Ports work.PNG
    TrueNAS both Ports work.PNG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,511

Johnephen

Dabbler
Ok, after another test it turned out that if I connect my computer to the router and connect my NAS to the router without an adapter, there are no more problems...

I feel stupid. I'm going to look for a New Lan Switch.

So now I'm about 1000mb/s(~950Mbits/sec).bin satisfied. Thanks again.

Last edited: