Slow SMB on Mac OSX solved with U1?

John45622

Contributor
Hi,

when 12.0 came out I read a lot of messages here that SMB was very slow with OSX clients and people rolled back to the last FreeNas 11.x release and things went back to normal.
I'd be interested in info if this has been fixed in the recent 12 U1 release? I didn't see anything in the bug fix list. But maybe the problems have been solved?

OSX users, please post your findings with U1.

Thank you!

tangles

Dabbler
I didn't notice any slowdown at all when going to from 11 → 12.
I have 3 Macs in the house with Apple's Music and Photos libraries all on TrueNAS. both Datasets > 100GB and things feel the same to me.

I would soon know because I'm running 10Gb/s copper and fibre and so it would stick out like dog's balls!

It sounds to me that you might have client signing still on. It's on by default for the last few versions of macOS.

In terminal with the SMB share connected run: smbutil statshares -a

It will tell you if you do and so I suggest you consider switching it off and retest.

There are also a few other tweaks you might want to consider and test with too.

See how you go.

John45622

Contributor
Thanks folks,

I'm still on the latest stable of FreeNAS. I saw a few users posting about much slower speeds after upgrading to the 12.0 release in November and some rolled back to FN. I decided to watch from the side lines.
On my system I typically see about 100-105MB/s for finder transfers and about 70MB/s tops when using Chronosync to an SMB share.
I tired a few tuning tips. Sync never, atime off, fruit on/off etc.etc. no real changes but 100-105 is pretty close to full Gbit so I'm not complaining. I just want to avoid a step down by upgrading to TN 12.x to avoid downtime for a roll-back.

Thanks!

John45622

Contributor
I didn't notice any slowdown at all when going to from 11 → 12.
I have 3 Macs in the house with Apple's Music and Photos libraries all on TrueNAS. both Datasets > 100GB and things feel the same to me.

I would soon know because I'm running 10Gb/s copper and fibre and so it would stick out like dog's balls!

It sounds to me that you might have client signing still on. It's on by default for the last few versions of macOS.

In terminal with the SMB share connected run: smbutil statshares -a

It will tell you if you do and so I suggest you consider switching it off and retest.

There are also a few other tweaks you might want to consider and test with too.

See how you go.
Here's what I get from terminal. This is on Catalina. I guess the signing issues are only older OS versions? Here signing is off.
1607640270511.png

John45622

Contributor
This the posting I was referring to earlier that kept me from upgrading so far...

adrianwi

Guru
I've just upgraded from 11.3-U5 to 12.0-U1 and I don't think the SMB performance is any worse, but it's not any better either.

I'm seeing transfer speeds for around 550-600Kb/s from my iMac to FreeNAS when moving large files, which is acceptable although could be a little faster.

John45622

Contributor
Hm.. that's a little more than half Gbit speed. Usually people see 100-115MB/s (920kb), no?

Dan Tudora

Patron
I'm seeing transfer speeds for around 550-600Kb/s from my iMac to FreeNAS
hello
what is your connection from your MAC to TrueNAS ??
something wireless in that schema ??
or other weird things in connection ??
maybe "guilty" is not the NAS ??

adrianwi

Guru
hello
what is your connection from your MAC to TrueNAS ?? A switch - both plugged into the same switch with CAT6 cables less than 2m long
something wireless in that schema ?? No
or other weird things in connection ?? I don't think so, but I can't say for sure
maybe "guilty" is not the NAS ?? With AFP I was seeing better transfer rates (around the ~900Kb/s range) but SMB was better for non-Apple devices and Time Machine, which never worked well over AFP. It's not been a priority to try and resolve as I'm not usually in any great rush to move things from iMac (which is quite old and running macOS 10.14) to Free/TrueNAS