Update from TrueNAS-12.0-U1 to U1.1: Netbios name access with SMB not working anymore...

Hibiki

Dabbler
Tonight, I just checked again and it... works. It is now possible to access the shares through the Netbios name...
"Maybe", it took time for the nmbd service to be the real master.

I will do a new try tomorrow morning.

I understood that NetBIOS-NS is deprecated but why is it needed for a Windows 10 client?

Hibiki

Dabbler
Tested it again this morning: it works.

So it seems that nmbd service needs time to be effective on the network...

Elo

Contributor
Hi I have a problem with similarities to the one here. I have noticed a peculiarity with my SMBs (TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1 ). I have two FreeNAS ->TrueNAS servers and I have two Windows servers, one 2016 and one 2019. There are also several Windows 10 machines. After upgrading I can no longer access my SMBs from the WIndows 2016 server using the NetBios/SMB name but can using the IP. Its ok from W10 machines and Server 2019. The TrueNAS servers are part of our domain. It seems that the Windows Server no longer can do DNS lookup and the name of the TrueNAS servers are no longer reckognised with the error that the TrueNAS server cannot be found on the network (The WIndows Servers are also DNS servers in the domain).

The SMBs can be accessed throug the IP...
I removed both TrueNAS servers from the domain. Waited for a while for everything to settle and then rejoined. Both servers are accessible as SMB's from the Server 2016 and from the Server 2019. I have no idea what was wrong

Hibiki

Dabbler
Hello,
So after few days, it still works but not flawlessly... Sometimes, it is harsh to connect by using the NetBios name. I have to reboot the Windows 10 client and retry.

I still do not understand why TrueNAS 12 is far more sensitive than the FreeNAS 11.3...

Chiaki

Explorer
Look in Network->Global Configuration. You may need to check the boxes for NetBIOS-NS, mDNS, and WS-Discovery. Afterwards, restart the SMB service. I learned this from @anodos in a PM a few days ago.
Thanks a lot, this helped me regain network scan functionality on a Brother MFC-L9570CDW after upgrading from FreeNAS 11.X
Specifically NetBIOS-NS was unchecked and after checking it (even without restarting SMB) it worked again. It's strange though how the info text mentions this is the way how SMBv1 checks names even though my printer is set to strictly only use SMBv3.

dcol

Dabbler
For me a reboot kills WSD. I have to toggle it in Network>Global Configuration for it to work again. This is on TrueNAS Core 13