SOLVED SMB shares unavailability for Zidoo Z9X

YujiTFD

Dabbler
UPDATE: at the moment of writing, in order to access SMB shares from Zidoo Z9X, TrueNAS owners has to enable Network -> Global Configuration -> NetBIOS-NS option. Enabling SMB1 is not neccessary, as it seems to be that only Zidoo's SMB scraper is unable to access shares without legacy NetBIOS advertising, while SMBv2 requests are being handled with no issues.

Greetings.

I have totally fine working TrueNAS server with SMB shares. Shares are R/W-accessible from the bunch of devices: Windows PCs and laptop, Apple TV, Raspberry Pi, AV receiver, etc. I mean, any device I have in my network can access aforementioned SMB shares unless it has been denied specifically by firewall rules.

Today I received my Zidoo Z9X, an Android-based mediaplayer, and it's unable to connect to the server. I tried everything I knew:
//server
//server/share
smb://server/
etc, both anonymous and root credentials - nothing, still unable to connect. Again, all SMB-shares has Open/Everyone access for share and ACL both, which has been proven by accessing it from numerous devices, but this single one is unable to connect. I did browse Zidoo's forum: not a single complain regarding SMB shares access, and it's a more than year-old device, such question would've been risen long time ago.

What else can I check in my case?

Respectfully,
YujiTFD.

Last edited:

YujiTFD

Dabbler
OK, great tip with a weird outcome.
Enabling SMB1 alone did nothing, but enabling NetBIOS-NS alone did: host is now appears in SMB scans and SMB shares now ARE accessible.I'm gonna report this issue to the development teams, thanks alot! :D

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
OK, great tip with a weird outcome.
Enabling SMB1 alone did nothing, but enabling NetBIOS-NS alone did: host is now appears in SMB scans and SMB shares now ARE accessible.I'm gonna report this issue to the development teams, thanks alot! :D
It depends on how particular applications are written. Some of them absolutely netbios-ns. Not showing up in scans is somewhat expected if they rely on that (if they don't support ws-discovery).