Update from TrueNAS-12.0-U1 to U1.1: Netbios name access with SMB not working anymore...

Hibiki

Dabbler
Dear all,

I upgraded beginning of January from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS-12.0-U1 with no noticeable issue except the fact I destroyed the GELI encrypted pool to be compatible with the new encryption system.

I'm used to access SMB shares through the Netbios name of the TrueNAS server or one of its aliases.
My network clients are mostly Windows 10 plus several Linux clients (e.g. Raspberry Pi OS).

I upgraded few days ago from U1 to U1.1 and since this update (besides numerous reboots), I lost the ability to connect to the shares through its Netbios name.
It works by typing the IP address but not anymore through its Netbios name...
However, the TrueNAS CORE appears in the Network section of the Windows explorer.

When I'm clicking on it, it answers "Windows cannot access to \\ARIANE". I tried also its aliases but it doesn't work...
By typing \\10.0.0.5, I'm able to connect to shares once I provided the correct credentials.

I checked in Services > SMB > Configure that the option Local Master is enabled. The workgroup is correct too.
Here is the NetBIOS Name: Ariane
NetBIOS Alias: Ariane, ariane, ARIANE (the last alais is the one that is displayed in the network from Windows)

By reading different threads on NetBIOS issue, I added in the Auxiliary Parameters:
domain master = Yes
preferred master = Yes
os level = 65

But it doesn't change anything.

I didn't change the default configuration of Network > Global configuration.
NetBIOS-NS is unchecked
mDNS and WS-Discovery are checked
Hostname is Ariane. Domain is local.

I tried with another Windows 10 machine, I'm able to access its shares by using its alias (here \\Ouranos) so the issue seems to be linked to TrueNAS CORE.

Any idea? What can I try?

Thanks a lot.

Hibiki

Dabbler
I tried with several Windows 10 clients and all have the same issue.

Something strange with the Raspberry Pi OS: I did a sudo mount -t cifs //Ariane/[...] /mnt/[...] -o user= ...etc.
And it... works!
I'm able to mount a share through its NetBIOS name... I'm so puzzled...

On Windows 10 clients, I also disable the third party firewall (simplewall) to allow only the Windows 10 firewall baseline active but it doesn't change anything.

What is really strange is the fact that it breaks this ability with the update from U1 to U1-1.

Cheers

dougbeam

Dabbler
I have the same issue as you, using the netbios name presented to the Mac OS finder. This is true of Big Sir and High Sierra releases. Using the go menu and using the Truenas IP address works,

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Look in Network->Global Configuration. You may need to check the boxes for NetBIOS-NS, mDNS, and WS-Discovery. Afterwards, restart the SMB service. I learned this from @anodos in a PM a few days ago.

dougbeam

Dabbler
Look in Network->Global Configuration. You may need to check the boxes for NetBIOS-NS, mDNS, and WS-Discovery. Afterwards, restart the SMB service. I learned this from @anodos in a PM a few days ago.

NetBIOS-NS was not checked, checked it restarted SMB did not help, sorry.

Samuel Tai

Try setting Local Master in the SMB service, and then restart the SMB service.

Samuel Tai

Is nmbd running? Also, you may need to add wins support = Yes to your SMB service's Aux parameters.

dougbeam

Dabbler
wins support = Yes did not help

nmbd is not listed in the services so I don't know, but I did find this in the log.mnbd, looks like it is not.

nmbd version 4.12.9 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2020
[2021/02/04 17:03:09.988888, 0] ../../lib/util/become_daemon.c:136(daemon_ready)
daemon_ready: daemon 'nmbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
[2021/02/04 17:04:35.095797, 0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd.c:59(terminate)
Got SIGTERM: going down...

This is the only type of error is see in log.smbd

[2021/02/04 17:29:26.972150, 1] ../../source3/modules/vfs_fruit.c:4212(fruit_readdir_attr)
fruit_readdir_attr .., error: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Samuel Tai

Does pgrep nmbd return a process ID? If not, try service nmbd start.

dougbeam

Dabbler
Does pgrep nmbd return a process ID? If not, try service nmbd start.

service nmbd start
Cannot 'start' nmbd. Set nmbd_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use 'onestart' instead of 'start'.
service nmbd onestart
Starting nmbd.

pgrep nmbd

It is now running, but did not correct my problem.

Samuel Tai

Hmm. Something's not right. Checking NetBIOS-NS should set nmbd_enable in /etc/rc.conf.freenas.

dougbeam

Dabbler
Pretty sure this is a Truenas issue, I created a Linux Mint Samba share and it works just fine via the netbios name to any of my systems.

dougbeam

Dabbler
Post output midclt call network.configuration.config, and service nmbd onestatus.

{"id": 1, "hostname": "Nfreenas", "domain": "local", "ipv4gateway": "192.168.0.1", "ipv6gateway": "", "nameserver1": "216.165.129.158", "nameserver2": "216.170.153.146", "nameserver3": "", "httpproxy": "", "netwait_enabled": false, "netwait_ip": [], "hosts": "", "domains": [], "service_announcement": {"netbios": true, "mdns": true, "wsd": true}, "hostname_local": "Nfreenas"}

nmbd is running as pid 5510.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
{"id": 1, "hostname": "Nfreenas", "domain": "local", "ipv4gateway": "192.168.0.1", "ipv6gateway": "", "nameserver1": "216.165.129.158", "nameserver2": "216.170.153.146", "nameserver3": "", "httpproxy": "", "netwait_enabled": false, "netwait_ip": [], "hosts": "", "domains": [], "service_announcement": {"netbios": true, "mdns": true, "wsd": true}, "hostname_local": "Nfreenas"}

nmbd is running as pid 5510.
Okay. So things are working as intended (in that service is enabled and running). Perhaps run command service nmbd onerestart then check /var/log/samba4/log.nmbd for any errors.

Hibiki

Dabbler
Sorry for the delay. I finished to perform additional investigations.

As I said, I have locked datasets with a denied access to everyone@ in the ACL permissions.
I switched off all Windows 10 computers and I rebooted TrueNAS CORE. 10 minutes after, I switch on only one Windows 10 machine.
Without unlocking the locked dataset, I launched Windows Explorer and tried to log in on one of the aliases of the TrueNAS, Windows asked me to provide my credentials then, it rejects me with "\\ARIANE is not accessible" with red cross icon.

Then I close Windows Explorer, open it again and retry and now I got this, without the possibility to provide the credentials:

I rebooted several times both TrueNAS and my Windows 10 computer but it is always the same. Sometimes, at the first try, I have directly the second image without the possibility to provide the credentials...

--------------
The through SMB service, I disabled all the locked shares (that everyone@ cannot access) -> reboot -> nothing change

For info, the locked shares are organised through Parent dataset > Child dataset 1 and Parent dataset > Child dataset 2 ...etc.
I didn't apply any specific permissions to the Parent dataset and only the Child datasets have their own Permissions (different for each Child dataset).
I only share Child dataset 1, Child dataset 2 ...etc.

Then I add @Everyone set to Read for all Child datasets -> reboot -> nothing change
So it is not because of locked dataset with restricted permissions

--------------
Then Network > Global configuration: I checked the option NetBIOS-NS
And keep the following parameters:
Code:
domain master = Yes
preferred master = Yes
os level = 65
wins support = Yes

I saved -> Stop SMB -> Run SMB again. Checked that pgreg smbd replies an active service.

I opened an FTP link and checked var > log > samba4 > log.nmbd and I got:
Code:
[2021/02/07 12:39:22.984761,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
  Samba name server ARIANE is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 10.0.0.5

--------------
I removed all auxiliary parameters except wins support = Yes and I rebooted. The log is now:
Code:
[2021/02/07 12:48:56.980778,  1] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:328(process_node_status_request)
  process_node_status_request: status request for name WORKGROUP<1b> from IP 10.0.0.5 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET - name not found.
[2021/02/07 12:49:01.981325,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:251(domain_master_node_status_fail)
  domain_master_node_status_fail:
  Doing a node status request to the domain master browser
  for workgroup WORKGROUP at IP 10.0.0.5 failed.
  Cannot sync browser lists.

--------------
I changed again the auxiliary parameters with:
Code:
wins support = Yes
domain master = Yes

Then I rebooted and the log is consistent:
Code:
2021/02/07 16:52:30.145483,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
 Samba name server ARIANE is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 10.0.0.5

I checked with SSH: midclt call network.configuration.config
Code:
{"id": 1, "hostname": "Ariane", "domain": "local", "ipv4gateway": "10.0.0.1", "ipv6gateway": "", "nameserver1": "1.1.1.1", "nameserver2": "1.0.0.1", "nameserver3": "208.67.222.222", "httpproxy": "", "netwait_enabled": false, "netwait_ip": [], "hosts": "", "domains": [], "service_announcement": {"netbios": true, "mdns": true, "wsd": true}, "hostname_local": "Ariane"}

Then service nmbd onestatus with nmbd is running as pid 8603.

Then Service nmbd onerestart

I opened the log.nmbd and I have:
Code:
[2021/02/07 16:56:16.705174,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:294(become_domain_master_browser_bcast)
  become_domain_master_browser_bcast:
  Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 10.0.0.5
[2021/02/07 16:56:16.705187,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:307(become_domain_master_browser_bcast)
  become_domain_master_browser_bcast: querying subnet 10.0.0.5 for domain master browser on workgroup WORKGROUP
[2021/02/07 16:56:24.706647,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:112(become_domain_master_stage2)
   Samba server ARIANE is now a domain master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 10.0.0.5

However, even if nmbd is working, it is still impossible to access the shares through the Netbios name while it appears in the Network:

I cannot understand...

Elo

Contributor
Hi I have a problem with similarities to the one here. I have noticed a peculiarity with my SMBs (TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1 ). I have two FreeNAS ->TrueNAS servers and I have two Windows servers, one 2016 and one 2019. There are also several Windows 10 machines. After upgrading I can no longer access my SMBs from the WIndows 2016 server using the NetBios/SMB name but can using the IP. Its ok from W10 machines and Server 2019. The TrueNAS servers are part of our domain. It seems that the Windows Server no longer can do DNS lookup and the name of the TrueNAS servers are no longer reckognised with the error that the TrueNAS server cannot be found on the network (The WIndows Servers are also DNS servers in the domain).

The SMBs can be accessed throug the IP...

Last edited:

dougbeam

Dabbler
After letting this soak for about 8 hours I think I have resolved my Mac OS issue I do not use Windows so I doubt this helps. My problems appeared when I upgraded to 12.0-U1 and persisted with 12.0-U1.1. I even rolled back to 12.0-U1 to validate that fact that it didn't work there.

I have tried each suggestion in this thread with no success I have rolled back each change to the default for my specific install.

What I did today is the following:

Tested access on Linux Mint 20 using the file manager native to Linux Mint 20, was able to connect to the Netbios name advertised smb://nfreenas.local. No issue No errors. At this point I noticed the Linux also saw NFS and AFP advertisement from NFreenas.

100% of my shares are SMB, but in the past I have used NAS and AFP, and all shares for those have been removed for months or even years, but both services were still running all along, so I stopped them today. This changed my Mac OS errors from Connection Failed to Nfreenas unavailable, after a reboot of the Mac and a 15 min or so time to stabilize I now have 4 Macs connecting by Netbios name without issue and has been stable for 8 hours or more. I only rebooted 2 of them the other 2 did not require a reboot but just worked.

Be glad to assist in verifying my setting if that would be of assistance. I still wonder what changed or what rules may have been tightened up with release 12 of Truenas. SMB was never a concern at all through releases to the end of 11 (Freenas 11.3-U5) on my system.

Hibiki

Dabbler
I checked but the only services which are running are: FTP, S.M.A.R.T., SMB, SSH and UPS.
#Sigh#

After to be honest, as the update from 11.3-U5 to 12.0-U1 then 12.0-U1.1 was done very quickly so as @dougbeam said, it may come from the upgrade 11.3-U5 to 12.0-U1 rather than 12.0-U1 to -U1.1.