AFP no longer works after creating an SMB share

Todd Nine

Dabbler
Hi all,
I'm on version TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1 of Trunas. I recently created an SMB share (new pool "toddwindowsbackup"). Since enabling this Samba share, all of my OSX clients no longer seem to be able to use AFP and browse my existing shares. I have the following 2, which map directly to their own ZFS pools.

jillbackup
toddworkbackup

I've disabled the Samba service, as well as the enable on boot flag and rebooted just for good measure to start all services from a cold state. My previous shares still do not work. I haven't changed any permissions on the existing pool (that I can recall) nor any of the AFP configurations. Any idea what I can check? I know port 548 is listening because I can verify it with netcat.

nc -z 10.10.0.10 548
Connection to 10.10.0.10 port 548 [tcp/afpovertcp] succeeded!

I've also tried directly connecting via finder and the URL afp://10.10.0.10/toddworkbackup and this does not work. However, my time machine backup to the same destination continues to function. As a result of this, I have a hunch it's some sort of bug in the latest OSX client side when the target IP has both Samba and AFP running, but I'm unsure how to proceed. Any ideas?

1. Disable AFP shares
2. Change SMB share to Multi-Protocol (AFP/SMB) shares

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 1.08.57 AM.png

3. Add user to TrueNAS
4. Access SMB shares on macOS: Finder, Connect to Server, smb://{ip or hostname}, Registered User, {enter creds}.

Todd Nine

Dabbler
Thanks @elvisimprsntr. If I follow these steps, I'm able to see the shared dir again in the list. However, after applying the same user+ group and recursive ACLs, I'm unable to browse the directory. When I apply these settings, what's happening with the service? Is AFP no longer the connection mechanism, and SMB becomes the protocol that my clients use to connect to the server?

Thanks @elvisimprsntr. If I follow these steps, I'm able to see the shared dir again in the list. However, after applying the same user+ group and recursive ACLs, I'm unable to browse the directory. When I apply these settings, what's happening with the service? Is AFP no longer the connection mechanism, and SMB becomes the protocol that my clients use to connect to the server?

AFP is deprecated

Todd Nine

Dabbler
TIL... I seem to have set the incorrect ACLs. I started over with the default "Restricted" template, then applied my user/group and all is working again. Since AFP is deprecated, do you know if there are there any plans for shares of type "NFSv3/SMB" to work with Time Machine? Thanks!

TIL... I seem to have set the incorrect ACLs. I started over with the default "Restricted" template, then applied my user/group and all is working again. Since AFP is deprecated, do you know if there are there any plans for shares of type "NFSv3/SMB" to work with Time Machine? Thanks!
TM already uses SMB