slow CUT & paste on the same Share SMB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keven

Contributor
In theory CUT & paste (not copy & paste) is supposed to only update the pointer and not the data, but when I move files from and to the same share, it copy to the PC-client and then paste to Freenas. Just to add the pain i'm running on power-line and not direct Ethernet cable. So I have a network speed of about 40-60Mbits/s. So when I Cut and paste, the moving speed is half of my network speed.

What can I do to be able to do a Real Cut & paste like in windows where it's only updating the pointers and not the data itslef?

i'm running
freenas 9.10.2
dataset share:windows
permission type:windows
Sharing: Windows (SMB) Shares

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What client software are you using? Windows explorer only support server-side copy starting with Windows 8.

Keven

Contributor
What client software are you using? Windows explorer only support server-side copy starting with Windows 8.

I am using windows 7 64-bit Pro. So if I understand you, if I use a windows 8 or 10 client it should be able to do a server-side copy which mean only updating the pointers when I CUT & paste?

bigphil

Patron
If going from and to the same share, it shouldn't move over the network when using cut and paste. I've confirmed it works correctly with windows 7 pro 64bit and FreeNAS 9.10.2. Windows 8 added support for Microsoft ODX...off the top of my head I can't recall the requirements to use it with FreeNAS, but the situation you described in your first post wouldn't require it...there's something else going on here.

Edit: ODX is only supported in FreeNAS when using iSCSI.

Last edited:

Keven

Contributor
If going from and to the same share, it shouldn't move over the network when using cut and paste. I've confirmed it works correctly with windows 7 pro 64bit and FreeNAS 9.10.2. Windows 8 added support for Microsoft ODX...off the top of my head I can't recall the requirements to use it with FreeNAS, but the situation you described in your first post wouldn't require it...there's something else going on here.

Yes it is going from and to the same share

Share: corrussante

to :Corrussante\media\James Bond folder\James Bond Skyfall.mkv

Do you have any tip to find why it doesn't work

bigphil

Patron
Do you have the share mapped as a drive and then CUT and paste from the mapped drive or two different file explorer windows to the same location? Both work the same when I tested it.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've confirmed it works correctly with windows 7 pro 64bit and FreeNAS 9.10.2.
The Samba wiki agrees with my memory: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Server-Side_Copy

I am using windows 7 64-bit Pro. So if I understand you, if I use a windows 8 or 10 client it should be able to do a server-side copy which mean only updating the pointers when I CUT & paste?
Yes, or you can use robocopy (or presumably a third-party alternative that issues the correct commands).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
That is correct. Windows Explorer in Windows 7 is unable to perform server-side copy. (You can do it with robocopy in W7, but that's not terribly useful).

@Ericloewe ninja'd me :mad:

You also need to make sure that your client is negotiating a SMB2.1 or higher connection.

bigphil

Patron

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Keyword....COPY. OP was talking about CUT and on the same share its instant. As for the server-side-copy feature...I didn't know about that one, so thanks for the info on that!
We're aware of the differences between cut / paste and copy. I believe both operations make the same general smb2 requests, but am happy to be proven wrong.

bigphil

Patron
We're aware of the differences between cut / paste and copy. I believe both operations make the same general smb2 requests, but am happy to be proven wrong.
I'm trying to help the guy that asked the question. He specifically asked about a cut operation and why it isn't doing what its supposed to do and acting like a copy operation. I literally tested his exact scenario on the same client OS version and FreeNAS version and experience a different outcome than his. The outcome...my cut was instant and copy takes some time...as expected. That's not what the OP is seeing so we're trying to figure it out. So...does anything need to be proven to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.