Can only paste some files to nfs share from Win 7 ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

travalon

Explorer
Hi all,
I've recently got my 1st freenas machine up and running. I have a bunch of video files on a couple of different computers. I am trying to cut from a windows 7 folder and paste into a directory in freenas. If I cut the entire folder and try to paste, I get the "you need permission to preform this action" alert. I have taken ownership of the file I want to cut and set the permissions to root - wheel See for yourself:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

At 1 point I managed to cut 1 folder and paste it but have failed at thr rest of the couple hundred GB sized file (Movies). All I get is the need permission alert. I have Googled and searched through the threads here ( they all seem to cover CIFS and I am using nfs. The file tree looks like /mnt/Two.terrs/Movies,Series,& recorded TV

Just looked at the directory in the first pic and it wasn't the proper one. Here's the one I THOUGHT i changed permissions on:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I adjusted to look like the first pic w/ set permissions recursivly and will check back if I doesn't work.

Here's my build if it helps:

Old Dell mid tower
GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
C2D E6400
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory
Rosewill RC-209-EX PCI 2.3, 32bit, 33/66Mhz SATA Controller Card (4 sata 3gb ports)
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
1x Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
2x Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive = 1Tb
2x 250gb ide notebook drive with sata adapters = 500gb

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've never tried to use NFS, but if oyu are using windows why is your ACL set to Unix? And why not set the permissions recursively?

travalon

Explorer
The manual says if you have multiple OSs, I've got linux and my wife has Windows, to use nfs because all OSs can access it. And i did set permissions recursive. Ithought i put it in my post somewhere. Twas an afterthought though. I've fixed the permissions but havent had a chance to test it yet.

ProtoSD

MVP
The manual says if you have multiple OSs, I've got linux and my wife has Windows, to use nfs because all OSs can access it. And i did set permissions recursive. Ithought i put it in my post somewhere. Twas an afterthought though. I've fixed the permissions but havent had a chance to test it yet.

It probably would have been helpful to mention that since the thread title did say Windows and not Linux or both. I thought it was a little strange you were using nfs with Windows since it's not that common.

You're probably trying to paste a windows folder into a folder that was created in Linux and Windows doesn't have the correct permissions. Setting RWX for everyone and recursive should fix that.

travalon

Explorer
I pasted into the series folder fine. It was the movie folder next to it im having problems with. I know it has to do with permissions. Thanks for validating me. My bad on the OSs info.

travalon

Explorer
Can't move files on NAS using Linux

Ok so I've spent a week trying to transfer everything off of my single 2T WD Red while waiting for my 2nd Red to arrive. I couldnt get it to work in windoze so I switched to a linux box. I still can't transfer the files from one HDD to another in the same freenas machine. the permissions are set as follows for the two volumes:

2T - has 1 data set labeled movies permissions are: 2T also has a folder labeled Series outside the data set and the permissions are: The volume I am pasting to is Five00m as follows

All have set permissions recursively checked.

I managed to cut and paste the Series after mounting both volumes but every time I try to move the Movies folder contained in the data set I am disallowed or the option to paste is greyed out. I have opened both volumes as root then opened each folder as root as well.

I have also tried using the CLI as su but I'm still new at CLI so Failed. I was thinking I could SSH into the nas and try with a CLI command but as above I'm new and still haven't figured out SSH or managed to get it set op on the nas. (Don't understand how to apply the keys)

Any help is appreciated as I want to add my 2nd Red and get the nas set up properly.

travalon

Explorer
well Cr@p!!!!!! I tried again and all the folders transferred but even though they show the movie file in the folder the total size is 203kb and the movie wont plat. What happened?

travalon

Explorer
Hmm.....Don't know what happened it looks like everythings there but size is minimal. Just cut and pasted from a linux machine and all went over as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.