FreeNAS 11.2 web UI -> Shell cut and paste

dpchrist

Dabbler
FreeNAS -> Help & Support -> New to FreeNAS?

Is it possible to cut and paste from and to the FreeNAS 11.2 web UI -> Shell? STFW, the only answers I found were SSH.

David

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
STFW, the only answers I found were SSH.
That is the best answer. Trying to cut and paste from the Web UI is just a pain and it not likely to improve, ever. Setting up SSH access to the NAS is one of the first things you need to do if you want to do any of the more advanced functions such as setting up the monitoring scripts:

Github repository for FreeNAS scripts, including disk burnin
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...for-freenas-scripts-including-disk-burnin.28/

danb35

Hall of Famer
Really, even in 11.2, the GUI's shell isn't likely to be suitable for anything more than simple one-line commands; for any significant interaction with the CLI, you'd be much better off using SSH. However, you should be able to copy/paste there. On a Mac (which is what I use for almost everything), the standard Command-C/Command-V commands work there as they do just about everywhere else. Not sure what would be used with other OSs, though I think I've seen mention of Shift-Insert used under Windows.

dpchrist

Dabbler
Copy, cut, and paste do not seem to work with Debian 9, Xfce, and Firefox. SSH works as expected.

sremick

Patron
However, you should be able to copy/paste there. On a Mac (which is what I use for almost everything), the standard Command-C/Command-V commands work there as they do just about everywhere else. Not sure what would be used with other OSs, though I think I've seen mention of Shift-Insert used under Windows.
I can also confirm that this doesn't work. I tried just the other day. Right-click in the browser doesn't provide copy/paste in the resulting context menu anymore (as of 11.2... I feel it worked in 9.x?) and trying CTRL-C passes a kill/break, not copy (this is in fact mentioned in the (?) tooltip pop-up in the lower-left corner)

Jr922

Explorer
Bump for this being insanely frustrating. Why remove the paste functionality? Its essential to its use...
What is a shell without copy paste? I use the built it shell all the time for little things. For instance, when I do big transfers I ramp up the fans so my hard drives don't fry, I don't want to SSH in to paste a single line to change the fans and I dont want to type it out carefully and check that im typing in the correct hex numbers when I could just paste.
I would make a bug/feature request but it looks like there already is one and it doesn't seem like its a high priority at all.

danb35

Hall of Famer
when I do big transfers I ramp up the fans so my hard drives don't fry
That sounds like something your system should be handling automatically. And I don't see how logging into the web GUI and then clicking on the Shell link is quicker than ssh root@freenas_ip_or_hostname (which now even works in Windows). In any event, Shift+Insert is reported to work in Windows--have you tried it?

Jr922

Explorer
That sounds like something your system should be handling automatically. And I don't see how logging into the web GUI and then clicking on the Shell link is quicker than ssh root@freenas_ip_or_hostname (which now even works in Windows). In any event, Shift+Insert is reported to work in Windows--have you tried it?

Just tested and confirmed shift+insert works for me on firefox, Thank you.

I use stux/kevins fan script, but honestly thats a PIA to setup and tune. I only have it configured on my main server. For my backup, on the rare occasion I need to copy/move a ton of stuff, I just type in the one line command to set it to full and then set it back to 25% when im done since thats all I need to keep my drives around 40c vs 47+ without. Normally my backup drives idle around 30c.
If you know of a way for freenas+X11+supermicro24bay to handle fan speed automatically, im all ears.
This is actually one of the most annoying parts of managing the NAS bc I havent found a good way to manage HDD temps during the various workloads and the 24bay supermicro cases will get those drives frying in no time if left on the standard duty cycle.

In this case, or really in any case of using the built in shell you could assume the webGUI is open and logged in, since like u mentioned it takes longer to login then to open up ssh, but also if im setting the fans manually then im probably already working on something in the gui as well; which is the case here. But thats just one example.
So far the points against copy/paste because SSH, seem to really be points against the entire web shell because SSH.
But in the odd case u do use it, you want to have copy/paste or its double useless.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, an easy answer is simply to turn up the fan setting full-time--though of course that also increases noise levels. But as to another option, these scripts seem like they should do it, though I haven't yet had much opportunity to work with them.

Yes, copy/paste should work--and they do just fine for me, and shift+insert apparently does the business under Windows. Maybe some day I'll get around to trying it out under Linux as well; if it works, it should really put an end to this complaint. The "paste" function of the shell in the old web GUI was a horrible kludge.
So far the points against copy/paste because SSH, seem to really be points against the entire web shell because SSH.
Not at all. In the first place, nobody's arguing against copy/paste working properly--they should, and it appears they do, though the key commands don't seem to be well understood (Shift+Insert for paste, and Ctrl+Insert for copy, are standard Windows keyboard commands, after all). Second, you shouldn't generally be doing things at the CLI that can be done in the GUI.

What I don't understand is those who apparently are in the web GUI all the time. Why? A NAS isn't exactly fire-and-forget, but it also isn't something that should need constant supervision. You set up your storage, you set up whatever jails/VMs you want (if any), and then you really don't have any reason to regularly be back there. Obviously other people use their servers differently than I do, but the idea of spending lots of time in the GUI is just foreign to me.

Jr922

Explorer
Well, an easy answer is simply to turn up the fan setting full-time--though of course that also increases noise levels. But as to another option, these scripts seem like they should do it, though I haven't yet had much opportunity to work with them.

Yes, copy/paste should work--and they do just fine for me, and shift+insert apparently does the business under Windows. Maybe some day I'll get around to trying it out under Linux as well; if it works, it should really put an end to this complaint. The "paste" function of the shell in the old web GUI was a horrible kludge.

Not at all. In the first place, nobody's arguing against copy/paste working properly--they should, and it appears they do, though the key commands don't seem to be well understood (Shift+Insert for paste, and Ctrl+Insert for copy, are standard Windows keyboard commands, after all). Second, you shouldn't generally be doing things at the CLI that can be done in the GUI.

What I don't understand is those who apparently are in the web GUI all the time. Why? A NAS isn't exactly fire-and-forget, but it also isn't something that should need constant supervision. You set up your storage, you set up whatever jails/VMs you want (if any), and then you really don't have any reason to regularly be back there. Obviously other people use their servers differently than I do, but the idea of spending lots of time in the GUI is just foreign to me.

Yeah im using https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/pid-fan-controller-perl-script.50908/ but again these scripts are a PIA to setup. I'll pass on setting it up again when I only need to bump the fans for a fixed time for a single use case.

I think the easy solution, since copy/paste seems to work and no one seems to know about it, would be to state this in the documentation or add it to the help bubble next to the shell, thats the first 2 places I looked and didnt find anything. I personally have never used or heard that shift+insert is used as a paste hotkey. I also don't agree that old paste was a "horrible kludge", it worked and wasn't ugly, it was just a single button paste bin, what was wrong with it?

Whos talking about being in the GUI all the time? I personally am in there max like every couple months or when I make a change, right now I happen to have upgraded to 11.2 and am also adding some drives/moving some data and I'm annoyed that I couldn't paste a single line to change the fans.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I think the easy solution, since copy/paste seems to work and no one seems to know about it, would be to state this in the documentation or add it to the help bubble next to the shell,
I suppose it could be, but why should FreeNAS be documenting how your OS/window manager/web browser works?
I also don't agree that old paste was a "horrible kludge"
Pretty much anywhere else, you paste directly into wherever you want the pasted content to go. In the old GUI, you click the Paste button, actually paste in whatever you want to paste, then click OK. Yeah, that's a kludge.

As another possibility, if you only need to run a single line, you can probably do that directly using ssh: ssh root@freenas_ip ipmictl blah blah blah. I know this works with ssh in *nix; I'd assume it does in Windows as well but haven't tried.