How to restart web shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurav

Contributor
I was in the web shell in the jail environment editing a file in vi, and by mistake I pressed ^[ instead of ESC. That caused Firefox to do something I'm not sure about, but it went back to the Freenas login prompt. I logged in again and killed the vi process. But after that, I have not been able to start the web shell again. When I click the Shell icon in freenas UI, a small'ish window launches, and disappears after a few seconds. Don't see anything in /var/log either.

Is there a way I can fix this (i.e. be able to launch the web shell) without rebooting?

Incidentally, tab completion inside a jail works on Mac Safari but not in FF on Linux. Is that a know thing, or just something local to my systems?

This is on FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64, jail type: 'pluginjail'.

Thanks,
Saurav.

D

dlavigne

It sounds like some process is still stuck. If you have physical access to the monitor/keyboard of the FreeNAS system, you could access the shell from console to see what is up. This might save you a reboot.

Regarding FF, depending upon the version it's been flaky with web shell. I've used various versions of FF with every FreeNAS version and have experienced everything from no problems at all to annoyances like one backspace deleting 2 characters, multiple web shells opening while typing, no tab completion etc. I suspect it is some dojo version and FF version incompatibility or possibly one of the new FF security settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.