No shell access to Linux jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruzer

Cadet
Hi,

I'm a first-time FreeNAS user trying to run a Linux jail on my 32-bit host.

The Jail creation works fine using the ubuntu/debian/centos templates directly from the GUI as described in the documentation, but after the jail is started I'm not able to access it via the shell. The button opens the shell popup for a split second and closes without giving me the chance to run anything (such as sudo service ssh start).

I'm able to execute jls from the main shell to list the jails, but any "jexec" commands return:

jexec: execvp(): top: No such file or directory

Am I missing anything?

D

dlavigne

I know there was a bug that prevented Linux shells from opening that was fixed in time for 9.2.0, but it is quite possible that that fix only appled to 64-bit systems and not 32-bit ones. Is your CPU capable of 32-bit? If so, I'd recommend installing the 64-bit version.

Which jexec commands have you tried? e.g. does jexec 1 /bin/sh work (assuming the JID is 1)?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is your CPU capable of 32-bit? If so, I'd recommend installing the 64-bit version.

You are confusing there dlavigne...

I think she means to ask

Is your CPU capable of 64-bit? If so, I'd recommend installing the 64-bit version.

Cruzer

Cadet
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately my CPU is 32 bit only (I'm actually considering a linux jail since I can't run 64-bit plugins)

I tried the following command on the FreeNAS shell, which still did not work (my JID is 2)
[root@freenas ~]# jexec 2 /bin/sh
jexec: execvp(): /bin/sh: No such file or directory

D

dlavigne

Can you access the shell of a plugins jail rather than a Linux jail? You should be able to install software using pkg and ports which will work much better than using a Linux jail (which is experimental at best). Refer to the chapter on Installing non-PBI Software in the version of the Guide that matches your FreeNAS version.

Cruzer

Cadet
It looks like I'm able to access the shell of a plugin jail, I will definitely try installing pkg/ports.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.