FreeNas 9 Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmydir

Cadet
Hello, I am not read through some of the documentation on creating jails. I am struggling with creating jails and then accessing them. I can get them created and use jls to view them, I get an error. Please see below:
[root@localbox ~]# jls JID IP Address Hostname Path 3 - Raid /mnt/Raid [root@localbox ~]# jexec 3 /bin/tcsh jexec: execvp(): /bin/tcsh: No such file or directory [root@localbox ~]#

I am not finding much on this error and how to correct it. I found one forum
that stated that it might not be set up right, but did not say what to correct it
I went back a few times to the docs but have not found what I am doing wrong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It may because I have freenas installed on a 32GB thumb drive. I have 29GB of free
space left. I do not have additional storage allocated to it.

I also seem to find that it is mounted ro unless I use /mnt in the jail configuration.

If there is anything else I need to state or if anything is confusing let me know please.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
To put it plainly, you can't use the same storage the OS is installed on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

cmydir

Cadet
Thanks pirateghost, I suspected, but wasn't for sure. I have four 2TB drives that I wanted to use in a raid 5. However, from what I am reading (I am newer to FreeNas), four drives can not be used in a zfs Raidz. I can only mirror them. I saw that the gvinum is installed and geom raid5, but I do not have enough experience to create a software raid 5 by hand. I have read that Software Raid was removed in the lastest version.

Whattteva

Wizard
I'm running RAIDZ with 4 drives.
As far as I know, RAIDZ requirement is only 3 drives.

gpsguy

I presume you're using FN 9.x. Creating volumes in the GUI is different than 8.x

To create your volume (ZFS Volume Manager), drag the circle in the "volume layout" and select your 4 disks. Then on the left, go to the drop down box, where you can select RaidZ. You'll receive a message saying it's non-optimal, but it will let you create a RAIDZ volume.

cmydir

Cadet
Thank you gpsguy... I was able to do it. I was doing it a different way (I would click on the + sign and it would seem to never show me raidz options.) I know this is user error though. Does anyone have any documentation on how much stress is put on the drives during resilvering process? I know that Raidz only allows one failure before you loose the whole dataset. From the bit I have read it seems like the chances that you are going to loose a second drive are greater due to stress put on hard drives or something like that. I know I chose non optimal setting and a Raidz2 allows for two drives to be lost. But I need the additional space. I have to present a case to management to order more 2TB drives.) I just would like documentation to read through if anyone knows of any. I will be searching via google.

cmydir

Cadet
Thank you all for your support and answers. I really appreciate your time working with a new guy. One last thing I want to ask based on pirateghost's answer is that I knew that we can't use the OS drive to store backups. But I was trying to use pkg to install additional software. If this is the case, then I can not do this as well? according to a previous post, I tried to do a jail but was unsuccessful. I was trying to creating the jail on the on the OS drive. I also under the impression of you have to use a jail to install software. But maybe not.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Indeed, you need to use a jail to install software. You CANNOT install additional software on the OS thumbdrive (you wouldnt want to run any software from there anyway). You must use a directory/dataset on your storage drives for installing jails and software.

gpsguy

Just wait for cyberjock's message about RAID5/RAIDz1 being dead. ;)

If you search the forum, you'll find some examples, where folks lost all their data, due to issues like this. RAID is not a substitute for backups. So, with sufficient backups, one should be able to tolerate a total loss.

cmydir

Cadet
Thank you all for your help. I will head the warnings and keep moving forward. We may end up changing things around in the future. I will see if I can find the messages about Raid5/Raidz1 being dead

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here's my sig.

There is no changing after you've created it. You'll have to destroy the pool and start over from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.