Should I upgrade from FreeNAS 9.3 to 9.10 or 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muku

Dabbler
Hi,

I've been using my FreeNAS 9.3 stable (with all the latest updates installed) for last 1.5 yrs without an issue & I'm really satisfied with its performance. I don't do much stuff apart from dumping my multimedia & important files into the server and reading them occasionally through my Windows pc.

So, should I upgrade to 9.10 or 11? Are they better in terms of stability & security? can I revert back to 9.3 is something goes wrong in the future / while installing updates?

My main concern is the safety of my data. I can't lose it.

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
So, should I upgrade to 9.10 or 11?
Are they better in terms of stability & security?
Yes.
can I revert back to 9.3 is something goes wrong in the future / while installing updates?
Yes. If you're feeling paranoid, install 11 to a fresh boot device and upload a saved config file. If you don't like it or have issues, just put the old boot device back in.

diedrichg

Wizard
If you're feeling paranoid, install 11 to a fresh boot device and upload a saved config file.
...just don't update the feature flags for the pool if you intend to revert back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP

Muku

Dabbler

Yes.

Yes. If you're feeling paranoid, install 11 to a fresh boot device and upload a saved config file. If you don't like it or have issues, just put the old boot device back in.
How to save & upload a config file?

Muku

Dabbler
...just don't update the feature flags for the pool if you intend to revert back.
Sorry but didn't get u. Can u please elaborate a bit.

Stux

MVP

Stux

MVP

Nomad

Contributor
Hi,

I've been using my FreeNAS 9.3 stable (with all the latest updates installed) for last 1.5 yrs without an issue & I'm really satisfied with its performance. I don't do much stuff apart from dumping my multimedia & important files into the server and reading them occasionally through my Windows pc.

So, should I upgrade to 9.10 or 11? Are they better in terms of stability & security? can I revert back to 9.3 is something goes wrong in the future / while installing updates?

My main concern is the safety of my data. I can't lose it.

Thanks

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Anyone telling you to upgrade just isn't giving good advise. You've been running for 18 months without issue, why bother upgrading? Is there a new bell or whistle you are lacking or just dying to have?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Anyone telling you to upgrade just isn't giving good advise.
I'm glad you revived the thread after four months to let OP know that the rest of us were giving bad advice. Because upgrades are all about bells and whistles; there are never performance or security fixes addressed in a new version.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hum... Maybe we can stumble across a 6 month old thread and bring that one back to life. ;)

I don't' mind an old thread being brought back from the dead provided it adds value for the OP, such as they are looking for some obscure answer and it just took this long for someone to come up with it. Unfortunately this revival doesn't help any.

Nomad

Contributor
I'm glad you revived the thread after four months to let OP know that the rest of us were giving bad advice. Because upgrades are all about bells and whistles; there are never performance or security fixes addressed in a new version.

It's a difference of opinion. As the OP stated he had no performance issues in the 18 months and upgrading for the sake of upgrading isn't a great model to follow but to each their own.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think the point was the thread was old and there is no gain here to reopen it. If there were I'd be asking if the NAS was exposed to the internet as that would be required or yes upgrade due to new security features/changes. But the topic is old and I'm sure the OP has already moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.