Manual upgrade from 9.3 to 9.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortar

Dabbler
Running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201605170422 now, but I'd like to upgrade to 9.10. There used to be files like FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201605170422.GUI_Upgrade.txz, which could be fed to the Manual Upgrade option in the GUI. 9.10 latest shows only some debug tar. Can I upgrade a 9.3 system to 9.10 somehow? The box won't be on the internetz so it has to be manually. And also, how do I do further smaller upgrades in 9.10 if there's no manual option anymore?

D

dlavigne

The manual option was taken out for a while, then put back due to popular demand. Though it sounds like your version was when it was still removed.

Personally, I would save my config, install the latest version to a different stick (so I can always go back to the old stick if needed), and restore my config. However, going forward, you will have the manual upgrade button once you're on the latest 9.10.

mortar

Dabbler
But what would I even use to upgrade?

If you look at the contents of http://download.freenas.org/9.3.1/latest/x64/ , there's an actual Upgrade file, in contrast to http://download.freenas.org/9.10/STABLE/latest/x64/ where you can only find the install iso and some debug file. Or does 9.10 accept the iso file as an Upgrade file in the GUI?

I can do the upgrade from the iso, but the box is headless so it's a bit of a hassle.

EDIT: RTFM tells me "Minor releases have been replaced with signed updates. This means that it is not necessary to wait for a minor release to update the system with a system update or newer versions of drivers and features. It is also no longer necessary to manually download an upgrade file and its associated checksum to update the system." But....but...it wasn't a painful necessity to me. It was a requirement.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As Dru said, install the latest version to a new boot device, from ISO.

Status
Not open for further replies.