Upgrading from 9.3 to 10.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackangus

Dabbler
When FreeNAS 10.x is stable will upgrades from 9.3 -> 10.x be supported or will I need to first upgrade from 9.3 -> 9.10, and then from 9.10 to 10.x?

m0nkey_

MVP
Right now, there is no upgrade path. Unless the developers pull a rabbit out of a hat, you'll be importing your pool and re-configuring everything from scratch.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Right now, there is no upgrade path. Unless the developers pull a rabbit out of a hat, you'll be importing your pool and re-configuring everything from scratch.
It's certainly planned, though.
When FreeNAS 10.x is stable will upgrades from 9.3 -> 10.x be supported or will I need to first upgrade from 9.3 -> 9.10, and then from 9.10 to 10.x?
Theoretically, it should work. In practice, such jumps have proven problematic in the past. I hope the devs pay attention to properly maintaining the configuration database in FreeNAS 10.

blackangus

Dabbler
Thanks for the heads up guys. If the worst case is that I lose all of my configuration but I'm still able to import my pool, I'm okay with that. It would cost me more time but if anything requires starting over with a pool or with volumes then that will be a real killer for me.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If the worst case is that I lose all of my configuration but I'm still able to import my pool
Of course, there is no doubt at all that pools can be imported. That'd be like buying a new computer and it not accepting a USB flash drive from 2004 because reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.