Shoud I move from core to scale, or not?

gwaitsi

Patron
Seems after I upgraded from Core 12 to 13 my Emby and Zone Minder jails no longer work.

I am considering whether to use this as an excuse to go from Core or Scale.
Currently, I replicate all the datasets from one drive to a backup drive.

Two questions;
1) should i move from core to scale
2) is it safe enough to simply remove the backup during the migration, and then to put it back after

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
If you are going to be a heavy Apps user, then yes I'd recommend migrating at some point when you have the cycles. Apps already provide a far better experience on SCALE than plugins ever did on CORE.

You can remove the backup drive and put it back after the migration is complete to get your local replications going again. Would still recommend you have some sort of offsite backup as part of your overall strategy though.

gwaitsi

Patron
If you are going to be a heavy Apps user, then yes I'd recommend migrating at some point when you have the cycles. Apps already provide a far better experience on SCALE than plugins ever did on CORE.

You can remove the backup drive and put it back after the migration is complete to get your local replications going again. Would still recommend you have some sort of offsite backup as part of your overall strategy though.
Thanks, Chris, but how to get an off-site backup, if core does not support USB drives? that is what i ended up using a 2nd disk with replication

gwaitsi

Patron
Two ways. 1) Another TrueNAS box and doing ZFS network replication. 2) Cloud-Sync (or Rsync) and doing file-based replication
I don't have the privilege of a 2nd box, so I removed the backup drive and did the upgrade following Tom's video.

Everything seem to go OK, except the network doesn't work.

I had LCP, with 2 vlans. Everything shows as having come up, but can't ping to or from the box

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Ok - Need to diagnose why the network isn't working then. Gateway / default routes set? Can you ping the local IPs from the box itself? Would need far more details here before we can really troubleshoot.

gwaitsi

Patron
Ok - Need to diagnose why the network isn't working then. Gateway / default routes set? Can you ping the local IPs from the box itself? Would need far more details here before we can really troubleshoot.
the only thing that seems to have changed, is the mac address. I had the ip locked to a mac address and have updated it to the new one, but still no comms. gateways, etc have migrated correctly

gwaitsi

Patron
Seems and issue with the network migration.
- mac address is not retained
- bridges seem incompatible. I had to delete the bridges.

In Linux I have
en0, en1, bond0, vlan2, vlan4

In Core, I had (forget the specific names) but the above + br2 and br4
Once i deleted the bridges, the network connectivity came up.

but my smb home shares are not showing and it asks for nfs4 acls if i try to reset

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Seems and issue with the network migration.
- mac address is not retained
- bridges seem incompatible. I had to delete the bridges.

In Linux I have
en0, en1, bond0, vlan2, vlan4

In Core, I had (forget the specific names) but the above + br2 and br4
Once i deleted the bridges, the network connectivity came up.

but my smb home shares are not showing and it asks for nfs4 acls if i try to reset
Sounds like you have a complex set-up... i'd recommend you document your goals, your set-up, what works and then what doesn't work. Lets focus on 1 item at a time.