TrueNAS Core 13.0.u4 -> Scale

georgelza

Patron
So still haven't done the migration to scale, to scared....
Have though upgraded to 13.0.u4.
Wanna get onto scale to get access to Docker to run some docker/linux based containers that's not possible on Core.

part of this being scared, i simply don't have the means to do a entire storage level backup.

G

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Docker to run some docker/linux based containers that's not possible on Core.
Can easily be done in an Ubuntu VM on CORE with NFS access back to the host.

part of this being scared, i simply don't have the means to do a entire storage level backup.
You're not going to lose your data pool by changing over (just make sure not to upgrade the pools and you can just change back the boot environment to CORE with no fuss if you don't like where you landed)

georgelza

Patron
Just need big enough gap to do it, as after the core->scale move i also need to deploy some containers...
Unifi Controller
Plex and pointing this back to original Alex volumes
qBitTorrent container.
The last one is a self build OS running a speed test script.
And then create a linux container running a InfluxDB hosts... as I use to run this on a RPi that now died.

G

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
after the core->scale move i also need to deploy some containers...
Unifi Controller
Plex and pointing this back to original Alex volumes
qBitTorrent container.
And then create a linux container running a InfluxDB hosts... as I use to run this on a RPi that now died.
I don't see why you wouldn't just use the TrueCharts apps for those. Nothing hard about setting them up.

The last one is a self build OS running a speed test script.
Also seems a bit trivial... is it more complex than just running the speedtest.net command?

TrueCharts has 4 apps (3 in stable) that seem to do speedtesting using the speedtest client or another option in some way... couldn't you just use one of those?

georgelza

Patron
i will be using the charts... it's about making sure data/configurations gets migrated from current to new correctly, without loosing any data.

i currently use a docker based speedtest that insert values into a external influx, as it's running on Core atm I use the native speedtest package installed on BSD, will deploy this as a docker build/be that a chart or simply the public avail docker image. and the insert into a seperate influxdb as I have other clients that use this same influxdb for metrics.

G

dAlexis

Dabbler
Wanna get onto scale to get access to Docker to run some docker/linux based containers that's not possible on Core.
IMHO! The best way of migration is creating new NAS aside, some training and transferring data. Was done by me, however, may be complex and expensive. But, I was initially planning 2 do this - LSI, Obsidian 900 case, migrated from desktop, etc
Was using all versions of Free\TrueNas since 2012, as I remember, started from FreeNAS 8 or 9 and all setup was clear enough. BUT! Scale, as I think, is somewhere in versions 2-3, and linux developing-using experince is not so long

georgelza

Patron
best way, sure, option for me, here now... no.

G