CORE 13.0-U4 to SCALE - what to consider?

john.doe79

Dabbler
Hello,

last year I've started with TrueNAS - it was CORE 13.0 (now on U4) and I really like it. I've got following hardware specs.

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8300 CPU @ 3.70GHz
  • 32 GB ECC Ram
  • 2x 1 Gbit/s Intel NIC on board
  • 4x 1 Gbit/s additional Intel NIC
Disks/Storage

ada0: boot - 120 GB SSD (Sata)
ada1: Plex1 - 8 TB HDD
ada2 & ada3: Mirror (2x WD Red 3 TB)
ada4: Plex2 - 12 TB HDD
nvd0: TempFlash - 500 GB SSD
nvd1: VMsJails - 250 GB SSD

I've got one VM (HomeAssistant Supervisor) - I could back that up and "restart" with a fresh install on the "other" side (SCALE)

Jails I run...
  • Plex (need to be migrated to the other side, the data drives and if possible the library/settings/history) - HW transcoding support?
  • sabnzbd, sonarr in one jail (move to docker?)
  • MineOS (could be replaced by some other minecraft server/gui thing)
  • Tautulli (could be made obsolete, don't use it anyway)
  • Wireguard (could be made obsolete, as soon as my UDM-Pro got 3.x firmware, or be replaced by a docker wireguard in the meanwhile)
Overall not too fancy I guess?

What do I need to consider? What will happen with the pools, VM, Jails during the migration?

reason for changing would be looking for using Dockers more often.

Cheers

John

Last edited:

LarsR

Guru
If you perform the in-place update vm's will be migrated as far as i know, but you'd have to recreate your jails using apps because jails are a freebsd thing and are not compatible with the linux kernel.

john.doe79

Dabbler
If you perform the in-place update vm's will be migrated as far as i know, but you'd have to recreate your jails using apps because jails are a freebsd thing and are not compatible with the linux kernel.
thanks - I assume the Jail Data will be still accessible via the file system, so that I could copy config from Plex & sabnzbd?