Shares...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebo75

Dabbler
I'm creating shares but what ever I copy into one of them it shows on every other share on the same drive, what am I doing wrong?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
This is a common mistake. A 'share' is merely a name/shortcut to a directory. when you create a share, you have to point it to the directory you actually want it to be.

lets say you have /mnt/tank as your volume
you create share called music and one called documents
you would need to create either a dataset within /mnt/tank volume, or create a folder within that volume called music and one called documents. if you set music and documents to point to /mnt/tank, you are doing nothing but sharing one folder with many names.

use datasets, it will make your life easier.

configure dataset on your volume
share out that dataset
rinse, repeat

bebo75

Dabbler
This is a common mistake. A 'share' is merely a name/shortcut to a directory. when you create a share, you have to point it to the directory you actually want it to be.

lets say you have /mnt/tank as your volume
you create share called music and one called documents
you would need to create either a dataset within /mnt/tank volume, or create a folder within that volume called music and one called documents. if you set music and documents to point to /mnt/tank, you are doing nothing but sharing one folder with many names.

use datasets, it will make your life easier.

configure dataset on your volume
share out that dataset
rinse, repeat

Ok but how do I get there? I'm looking at the FreeNas Documentation and it doesn't look loke mine, below volumes only shows change permissions and that's it

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I guess you aren't using zfs?

If not then you need to create folders within your volume and point the shares to the appropriately named folder

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

bebo75

Dabbler
I guess you aren't using zfs?

If not then you need to create folders within your volume and point the shares to the appropriately named folder

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Got it setup already and is working great thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.